Author Topic: Spring length and ride height  (Read 4850 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Spring length and ride height
« on: September 11, 2011, 10:40:37 am »
My current h&r front coilovers when woud all the way up don't give mean high enough ride hieght for my liking.
 I have two options as I see it get Gaz to make me some front coilovers designed for a higher ride height. Or to for longer springs obviously longer springs is cheaper.I was told that the longer spring option is only viable if there is a certain degree of droop when jacking the car up I'm assuming this is so that the piston is not at max travel already ?

If I am to go for the longer spring option I need some advise on which spring to go for. My current springs are 7" long by 2.5" Id I'm looking for a ride height raised by 30-40mm with the spring seat wound all the way up. Id like maximum possible travel with a reasonably comfortable ride I'm thinking of maybe a 8.5-9" long 225lb spring Does this sound about right ??
   My other option is there are some 40mm long helper springs from my old rear shocks they are not flat section sprigs like normal Helpers though they are almost as thick as a normal spring could I fit these and get the desired effect ?
    Another option is to make a 40mm spacer ring to sit on the spring seat would this give me what I'm after ??
     Or am I best of buying new front suspension designed for near standard ride height and a longer travel ??
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:57:19 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: Spring length and ride height
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:40:43 pm »
I have to ask to get a feel for what you want from the car...
Why did you take to decision to fit coilovers? Custom spring ratings?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 01:28:45 pm »
Car came fitted with coilovers when I bought it, I probably would of gone with h&r cup kit otherwise but the ride hieght adjustability is handy for wheel and tyre choice changes along with making the car sit level at the front and one side sits lower than the other. Being able to change spring rates is just a bonus that comes with that.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 09:54:58 pm »
Did some more research tonight and have found I currently have 180mm 229lb springs on the front the springs have sagged by 10 mm as they now measure 170mm un compressed, am I going to get this amount of sagging with every spring? I.E. If I put a new set of 180mm springs in would they settle down to 170mm again after a while ?
  I intend on measuring the amount of droop when jacking the car up if there is enough to accommodate longer springs or some 40mm helper sprigs (that are of the same poundage which came of the back) then I shall put these on.
   If there's not enough extra travel in the piston I shall have to get or make some new shocks.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 10:52:43 pm »
All springs will sag over time- they're only sprung steel which won't hold it's shape forever!

As a very general rule of thumb I'd start with 7.5" and 250lb with a subframe, also very important to have the dampers valved to suit, or adjustable like the Gaz units.

Most off the shelf coilovers kits will have shocks shortened to suit spring heights, and have helper springs if the valving isn't strong enough to hold the spring in position- key if you want an MOT certificate.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:37:41 am »
Ok, so I currently have 7" 229lb springs and non adjustable valving. As mentioned before the springs have sagged 10mm and with the spring seats wound all the way up Im still having clearance issues. My intention was to add some 40 or 60mm tender springs that have a block length of roughly 1" this would mean I would get a little more clearance when the spring seat is fully raised and maybe have a more progressive feel for more comfort on road without loosing the firmer spring rate for harder cornering. Wasn't to sure on tender spring poundage was going to go for some 30N/mm (174lb) ones does this sound about right it would give me an effective spring rate of roughly 100lb untill the tender springs bind and then I'd have the main spring rate of 229lb

I think I will in the long term invest in som gas units as I can play with the spring rate/length and valving until I find what is best suited to me.

But for the short term to give me a little extra clearance would I best best of with a tender spring? A solid spacer ? Or just a longer main spring ?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:50:01 am by dub-disaster »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:43:50 am »
if the piston rods are at their full extension then just putting longer springs on will do nothing but increase spring pre-load.  Helper springs will just do the same too. 

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 09:53:07 am »
if the piston rods are at their full extension then just putting longer springs on will do nothing but increase spring pre-load.  Helper springs will just do the same too. 

I understand this now, but I don't this the piston is at full extension when the car is static as when I jack the car up the wheels don't come of the floor I instantly the body moves up and the wheel stays on the floor for a while indicating the pistons not at full extension right??

Also if my springs where originally 180mm as it had written on them and they now measure 170mm surely there should be atleast 10mm more travel in the piston if not a bit more than that ?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:35:04 am »
yes that makes sense

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 01:04:14 pm »
I understand this now, but I don't this the piston is at full extension when the car is static as when I jack the car up the wheels don't come of the floor I instantly the body moves up and the wheel stays on the floor for a while indicating the pistons not at full extension right??
Remember though there's also whatever the gap is between your turret and the strut 'caps' (the discs with a teflon outer edge that sit on the top of your turrets immediately under the locknut for the struts).

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:51:49 pm »
Ok just selecting my springs, and could do with some info. Has any one had their car corner weighted and can remember the very rough numbers for the front. I'm just after a ballpark figure so I can try and calculate how much the springs will sag when the weight is on the suspension. Any info much appreciated.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 05:16:10 pm »
Has any one ran 250lb springs if so how did they find them i find my 230lb ones nice and compliant but not to harsh little more roll now the subframes in but it's defiantly worth it makes the car feel sooo much better. Not sure weather to up it to 250lb's
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:43:15 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 12:22:21 pm »
miles too hard for daily road use! I have 250s on mine now.  Surprised you thought 230s were ok really, maybe I'm just old :D and enjoying my soft volvo too much

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 06:19:29 pm »
My front shocks are monotubes aswell I have been told that these give a harsher ride at low speeds than conventional twintubes such as the gaz units I was considering but they are much better at higher speeds.Although  I love the dampening adjustment on the Gaz ! I would get some for the front but it would end up costing me £400 once delivery second hand struts and bearings have been considered, although I could sell the h&r's and recoup some of the money but I have been told that getting twin shocks over monotubes would be "downgrading" so for the miniute I'm going to try some 200 or 205mm springs and see how I get on