Author Topic: Advice on engine setup  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Matty!

• Members
  • G40 Clubsport Build / BMW M2
Advice on engine setup
« on: November 30, 2014, 06:46:29 pm »
Im about to fit a GT inlet, 51mm TB and the car already has a 4-2-1 manfiold and lightened fly, would I need to update the chip and add G60 Injectors to the car to compensate for the extra airflow?

It got 161bhp dyno proven on:
 Standard exhaust manifold,
standard inlet,
de wedged TB
and a chip of some sort.

Im not too sure if its had a big valve head fitted or even the bigger bottom end mod to be honest! But I believe thats quite a strong power output from the mods it has and TBH, for a 1.3 its acceleration is aggressive, not sure on the cam either, last time I put a photo up people thought it looked standard.

The code of my injectors at the moment are 0280150721, which I guess are standard, would fitting G60 ones increase reliability for track use also? My theory is it wont be running lean from lack of fuel up top.

Offline JoeH

• Members
Re: Advice on engine setup
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 07:51:39 pm »
I dunno, Andy from ppp would be able to give good answer on something like this.
I fitted the same pair of mods, 51tb and GT inlet on a stock engine, stock chip and it made noticeable difference. I had to re-tweak the idle speed though. It really changes the throttle response, especially at low/part throttle
Would be interested to see the difference in bhp on yours when you've done them though!

Offline kwijibo_coupe

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 09:36:36 pm »
I'm running those mods and the G60 injectors with a 65mm toothed pulley but on a standard head, cam and bottom end and I doubt I'm running as much as 160bhp.
It does pull a lot harder than a standard G40 though.

I would be interested to see if you get a big difference after those mods.

If you are going to fit G60 injectors I would get a chip to suit. I ran G60 injectors on a map for G40 injectors and on WOT the fuelling was well off.

Offline Matty!

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 09:56:35 pm »
Thanks for you input lads, yeah Im interested too.

Looking to get one of them WOT's too as its definately a good mod. Did you have to get a boss welded into your exhaust?

Yeah well I've got hold of some G60 injectors, its just I dont want to chip it to something the car may or may not have I/e a Cam or BVH or even a larger displacement.

So Im fingers crossing I can run safely with the 51MM TB, and GT inlet although I know in the back of my mind it may well be pushing the injectors and may possibly be leaning the car off.

Another alternative I thought was asking PPP if they would read my chip and alter the fueling to suit with a chip of there own as the car runs fine and reliable as is...

Alternatively I could run it with the G40 manifold back on it, and the 51mm TB as a happy medium, but I would rather just get it all on haha my minds frazzled! Soo much to do this winter!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:58:45 pm by Matty! »

Offline Merrick

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 06:23:40 am »
I'd also be interested to see how it turns out as I've got roughly the same mods, ported gt inlet, 51mm TB on way, 65mm pully, full exhaust system with de-cat, r1 charger with jabba chip. I've been wondering if I could benefit from bigger injectors???

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 10:47:43 am »
it'll work with the chip you have.  There may be some more small gains to be seen by getting a proper remap to suit your exact set up.  Any generic off the shelf chip is going to be a compromise.

If you put the g60 injectors in then you will need a different chip to suit (as I'm sure you know already).

Offline Matty!

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 04:01:56 pm »
it'll work with the chip you have.  There may be some more small gains to be seen by getting a proper remap to suit your exact set up.  Any generic off the shelf chip is going to be a compromise.

If you put the g60 injectors in then you will need a different chip to suit (as I'm sure you know already).

Thanks for that!

Lads, after winter I will get it dyno'd for you and see the difference either up or down  ;D

Matty