Author Topic: My brakes rubbish  (Read 2569 times)

Offline dan182

• Members
My brakes rubbish
« on: November 01, 2013, 09:13:27 pm »
My g40 has standard brakes with good ridge hoses if I put 22 mm master cylinder will them be better brakes

Offline JoeH

• Members
Re: My brakes rubbish
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:19:20 pm »
No, they'll be better with fresh fluid, maybe dot5.1, may reduce sponginess
but the best thing to do is fit decent brake pads, such as Ferodo DS2500
standard discs, and make sure everything (calipers) is in good working order.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 09:12:00 am »
As Joe suggests, make sure what you have is in good order; standard discs are cheap and easy to come by and the Ferodo pads are a good bet. Clean drums with the shoes adjusted to a minimum clearance make a big difference to pedal travel. Fresh fluid and a thorough bleed are a must although I'd not go to DOT5 unless you're going to be renewing the fluid on an annual basis as it's pretty hygroscopic. Mercedes do a DOT4.5 which gives a two year life.
22mm cylinder helps, but you lose a good bit of feel. If you want to do a decent upgrade though, then the 256 and TSR 270 conversions are the way to go; plenty of info on threads here.

Offline dan182

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 02:42:28 pm »
Thanks already done fluid change discs are good so I might change pads and shoes

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 04:23:48 pm »
Clean drums with the shoes adjusted to a minimum clearance make a big difference to pedal travel

this is so important.  No matter what you do to the front brakes, if the rears are knackered then it'll have a bad effect on the whole braking system.  New drums, shoes and fitting kit will do wonders.