Author Topic: Noise  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Noise
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:11:31 pm »
Started the car up today and there was a very strange noise coming from the engine so i popped the bonnet and it was coming from charger. I stopped the engine and started it again. I thought it might of got a little dry on the scroll as it was due a ptfe spray, in about 20 miles. I took off the blank and the noise got a little louder.  I sprayed a little ptfe in and it was still doing it so i stopped the engine completly. The charger has done about 15k and had all the apex seals replaced about 4k ago. It sounded very central in the charger. possibly a bearing on the way out? Prob due a service?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Noise
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 09:27:33 pm »
Here is a video i made so you can see/hear. It 1st starts at 11 seconds.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:04:48 pm »
check your charger belt mate - they dont last a huge deal of time (toothed ones dont anyway)
mine sounds like that when its lost some teeth, so i would take the induction kit off and just have an inspection of the belt while its running / when its not.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 05:52:33 pm »
I'd go for that as well. If it's a PSD kit check your alternator pulley for play too.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 05:56:58 pm »
Ok will do, but if i go close to the filter you can hear it coming from inside and it did get louder once i took the blank off.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 06:56:03 pm »
Ok will do, but if i go close to the filter you can hear it coming from inside and it did get louder once i took the blank off.
If there are teeth missing or the belt is real loose it ends the vibrations through the charger - I had a loose belt once that seemed to be vibrating the scroll to the eye. Doubt it was doing the charger any good though!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:49:13 pm »
check your charger belt mate - they dont last a huge deal of time (toothed ones dont anyway)
mine sounds like that when its lost some teeth, so i would take the induction kit off and just have an inspection of the belt while its running / when its not.

Justin thankyou very much!

I went out and started taking the induction kit off, then found a little bit of rubber by the earth lead, turned out to be a tooth from the belt. Had about 6-7 missing withing 2-3 inches. New belt on and it runs fine. Thanks mate.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:11:16 pm »

Justin thankyou very much!

I went out and started taking the induction kit off, then found a little bit of rubber by the earth lead, turned out to be a tooth from the belt. Had about 6-7 missing withing 2-3 inches. New belt on and it runs fine. Thanks mate.
Ah good mate. Always keep a spare belt in the back; they don't last long unforunatly!