Author Topic: Improving my breaking...?  (Read 3521 times)

Offline CJ Dubs

• Members
Improving my breaking...?
« on: October 27, 2011, 11:23:45 am »
Hi guys,

So I've got MK1 Polo.  I bought a crash damaged G40 2 years ago and have very very slowly been converting the MK1 to a G40 - build thread here: http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mk1_Polo_Club/index.php?showtopic=1404.

To cut a long story short, it is an awful lot of effort to fit a MK3 servo and associated parts to a MK1 so I have basically got myself a standard MK1 Polo set up with G40 calipers, pads, discs and braided hoses up front and a standard MK3 rear beam with no brake pressure regulator fitted at the back - all brake components are brand new.

Anyway, I have been wondering if there is any way that I can improve the brakes even further and this got me thinking about aftermarket pedal boxes.  Trouble is, I know abolutely NOTHING about them i.e. how they're fitted, how many pedals I would need (you can get kits with one, two or three?) whether there is a direct replacement for the standard Polo type, whether the cable connections are the same, how it mounts, space for reservoirs, etc, etc?  I also wondered about a MK1 Golf/Scirocco servo setup where the servo sits on the passenger side where there is more space but don't know if this will actually be beneficial!?  The MK1 bay is a lot smaller than the MK3.

So if anyone can give me any insight into the above then that would be great!  All I keep thinking is a servo-less MK3 G40 can't be too great and that's what I see this as!

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: Improving my breaking...?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 01:29:29 pm »
ive got 256mm lucas 54 calipers fitted to my mk2 polo, its non-servo and the brakes are fantastic. its also fitted with 5.1 fluid and braided hoses, but the master cylinder is standard.

ive also fitted the same setup to my mk1 polo and the pedal firmness and travel is more than adaquete. they just need a decent stamp but its easy enough to lock up the wheels!

Offline CJ Dubs

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 01:50:21 pm »
Cheers Saf!

So I think I'll stick to my 239mm vented discs for now then and see how that performs.  If they don't feel quite up to it once I'm up and running then I may look into a 256mm setup like you.

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:28:32 pm »
nice build thread

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 06:00:35 pm »
We need a "I found this helpful" button
even though I'm not changing my brakes, I appreciate the info on the non-servo aspect. Would that setup fit on my 12"bbs's? Just in case it becomes relevant one day.? I like to think its always worth knowing work arounds..
If you've got the same g40 brakes as I had, the legendary "brake travel" dissapeared when I changed the brake drums.. Scary to start with, toe and heel became toe and knee! :-P
NEAL

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 06:02:14 pm »
Tell you what, I love the pics of your car! How much does it weigh can I ask? How much lighter is it than my factory mk3f?
NEAL

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 12:14:30 am »
12 inch bbs? g40s came with 13 inch as standard

256mms will need 14inch RA's to clear if you want to keep the BBS look.

agree however, that changing the rear shoes really makes a difference to the braking of the car as whole

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 08:21:46 am »
Lol, its a long time since i've drove it, course they are 13"'!
Appologies
Neal :-)

Offline CJ Dubs

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 11:56:03 am »
Thanks guys - mucho appreciation for the help and comments! :)

Neal......I'm unsure of the weight to be honest.  Although most of the chassis is the same on a MK1 & MK3, the upper part of the car seems a lot smaller and less bulkier on the MK1.  Combine that with a stripped out interior (although I will be keeping it fairly cosy with carpets and door cards), lightweight racing seats, etc, etc then it should weigh quite a bit less over all! ;D  One thing that will be quite 'weighty' is a Safety Devices roll cage that I shall be fitting in time.  I've got a 6-point cage lined up but need to sell my Lotus rims (http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7240.0.html) first to be able to buy that.

PRICE DROPPED ON THE LOTUS RIMS BY THE WAY - £500 TAKES THEM!

Cheers,
Chris.

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 04:22:39 pm »
I've seen a few videos on youtube of *rapid* similar looking cars, but my mates convinced they are just MK1 golfs... I imagine from the pics its got to be quite a bit lighter, even with a cage, its proper lovely small init... I love small cars, less protection I suppose but my g40 is about the heaviest car I've had. I'm jealous mate! Cant wait see pics of it blastin it somewhere!
Coolio
NEAL

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 04:42:29 pm »
search 'berg cup' on youtube :) half of them are mk1 and 2 poloes!

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 09:23:12 pm »
Yeah man, I do like that size car.... From an era before nCap I suppose.. If I ever get a big wad of dough (lottery only chance so far, but interesting .net job came up today so never know) I want one, even if its juist a 1 litre run-around. VW that age will be rust-proof I presume, and built like its bulletproof as usual, like my g40 but using 1/4 of the fuel I think is the aim. When I stopped driving petrol was 85p a litre, and working 25miles away (including dinner-time blast arouind a50) I was using £20 petrol a day. What I'll need is a runaround to use, and have my baby for one-off blasts, insure her for weekend or something (£1900/yr last insurance was on Q plated body, probably less now its genuine J plate body again.)

Looks ideal, small, reliable and nice to fix, and an absolutely beutiful shape... Strangely I think of the sunbeam when I see them, similar type angles, lovely.!
Coolio
NEAL