Author Topic: handling and launching  (Read 2792 times)

Offline curtisg40

• Members
handling and launching
« on: December 20, 2010, 10:40:17 pm »
hi guys,

bought a g40 a few months back, so far i have bought 13 by 8 weller -13 wrapped in yokos and a phil j 80/60 kit was just wandering will this affect my launching from stand still for better or for worse, plus is there anyhting to make the handling better as i want to use it for hillclimb in the summer

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
Re: handling and launching
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 12:24:58 pm »
http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5158.0.html

or if you can't afford that get this

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=216913

I recently fitted a stage 2 frame along with some G-ladersite ARB blocks and some new TCA bushes and the difference is night and day.

After that it's an LSD to reign in that wheel spin

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:54:03 pm »
to be honest, wheels that wide with that offset are going to make handling pretty horrible.  Robin knows this!  Expect lots of tram-lining!  Philj suspension isn't going to be helping matters either, it's just low and really stiff rather than actually helping matters.  If you are using it for any kind of motorsport you need to read the rulebook first as this will dictate what modifications you can or can't make.  Ideally you want a limited slip diff, subframe, better suspension, sensibly sized wheels.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 04:03:13 pm »
i cannot vouch enough for the difference a subframe makes, my old housemate had been in both of my g40s, one with 170bhp and a subframe, the other with around 120 and the standard suspension setup (bar lowered suspension) and the first thing he said when he got in the 170bhp one, was saf its fooking rapid but it doesnt feel like were going to die, like the old one!

really helps get the power down with alot less wheelspin that you would with the standard setup.

as said an LSD would be a worthy addition to any G searching for traction!

Offline curtisg40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 04:45:22 pm »
cheers chaps, i think a sub frame is in order i think , i bought the wellers thinking wider..more stability and better traction off the line and what do you mean by tram-lining?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 06:22:07 pm »

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 02:09:58 pm »
How far do you want to go really?  How serious are you regarding hillclimbing, as in, a sole hill climb car or an everyday car used for occasional hillclimbs?

The 8x13s are fine, the ET maybe not so, also that suspension is far too low to for competitive racing and totally unsuitable anyway.

Subframe and LSD will be the main important buys though.