Author Topic: Changed Head Gasket Naw Problems!  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Tony100

• Members
Changed Head Gasket Naw Problems!
« on: August 06, 2009, 04:15:00 pm »
Start from the top!!

I had a water leek where the head met the bottom end . By lookin at fourms and asking other people i come to the conclusion it was the head gasket???

Was i right in thinking thiS??

So thinking i was right i went ahead and bought a head gasket and head bolts i went to vw and ask for a headgasket for a g40. they told me there was a 3 month back order on them , i look at the guy silly and walked out ???

Some time passed and i hadnt driven the car since i spotted the leek so i asked around a bit and got the bolts and head gasket from BMF a local parts distribator.

I took the head off myself (well i say myself i had a mechanic to do all the timining and stuff i just undid the bolts!!) and sent it to a local garage to get tested when i got it back i got a bill for 15 quid?? cheep then my suspitions arosed!!

I asked the guy what hed done bearing in mind..... i gave it to him with the cam still in he said hed not skimmed it just tested it and it was fine.

Thinking this was all ok i hired my mechanic again and we put the head back on we also replaced a few parts  when i took the inlet manifold off i noticed there was NO gasket on it ceeing this i went ahead and bought one for the inlet (GT inlet manifold) i also bought a zorst gasket for the car ceeing as the old one kinda crumbled away.

Putting all this back on the car had my mechanic do all the timing and tightening of the head bolts he done it
1 40nm
2 60nm
3 180 degrees

This is what autodata said to do them up at.

whilst it was off i also de-wedged the throttle bodie using chemical metal?? was this the right thing to do ??

I put it all back together and started it up it run a bit lumpy at first which i thought was normal but it still runs lumpy naw i took the spark pulgs out and they are BLACK!!! i mean black as charcoal!!

so im assuming the black means it overfueling

why would it overfuel all of a sudden??

i put a brand new set of plugs in the engine the same day drove it down the street took thm back out and they are BLACK again!!

Offline Tony100

• Members
Re: Changed Head Gasket Naw Problems!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:36:17 pm »
if i remember right theres a metal head gasket from a 6n you can get that is suitable for a g40, i forgot which one though, might be the 1.4 or 1.4 16v.

have you double checked belt timing? and did you alter the ignition timing by (re)moving the distributor?

you never said if your leak has gone either ! :p

So i could be using the wrong head gasket i have just checked the timing and it seems smack on when the top cam pulley's mark meets that thing on the head the bottom crank pulley is dead inline with its mark aswell!!

i didnt remove the distrutor at all so thats not been touched at all!!

haha yes my leek has naw gone but regardless the car used to run fine with the leek

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:14:30 am »
Same as Rae, make sure that you haven't timed the cam 180deg out.

Offline Tony100

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 07:29:42 pm »
found out i had a boost leek problem solved :P