Author Topic: Exhaust Hangers!?  (Read 2473 times)

Offline VeeDubG40

• Members
  • VeeDubG40
Exhaust Hangers!?
« on: August 05, 2009, 12:36:06 pm »
Hi all,

I cannot for the life of me get these new exhaust hangers to stretch to fit the new exhaust!

Any ideas?

Nice

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Exhaust Hangers!?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 12:43:14 pm »
try harder?

seriously, they're supposed to be tight or they wouldn't hold the exhaust up.

Offline VeeDubG40

• Members
  • VeeDubG40
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 01:05:28 pm »
i know they are meant to be tight smartarse, anyone got anything constructive to say?

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 01:42:58 pm »
You can soften them in warm/hot water first and also use soap to slide them on. Otherwise as Hayesey says - bit of muscle will see them right.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 01:53:06 pm »
i know they are meant to be tight smartarse, anyone got anything constructive to say?

No no i don't think he's trying to be the slightest bit smart they are really really tight to fit.  I used a bent bit of rod to pull the rubber hanger downwards whilst i manourved the exhaust into place so to speak?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 01:59:23 pm »
well I kind of was being smart because I'm having a bad day in the office  >:(

but they are tight yeah. I generally get the car high enough to get under it properly, hook one side on and use the backbox itself as a lever to stretch the hooked on rubber as much as possible and then hook on the  other side, use a hook or a screwdriver or something to put through the 2nd rubber to pull it on.  I seem to recall last time I did this I was scrunched up under the car using my knee to push the backbox across and then both hands to hook the other side on!  Id made it harder for myself because I've welded stronger hooks to the car body for it to hang on and these required even more stretching of the thick rubbers I used but the end result is a very solidly mounted box.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:01:03 pm by hayesey »

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 09:47:27 pm »
well I kind of was being smart because I'm having a bad day in the office  >:(

but they are tight yeah. I generally get the car high enough to get under it properly, hook one side on and use the backbox itself as a lever to stretch the hooked on rubber as much as possible and then hook on the  other side, use a hook or a screwdriver or something to put through the 2nd rubber to pull it on.  I seem to recall last time I did this I was scrunched up under the car using my knee to push the backbox across and then both hands to hook the other side on!  Id made it harder for myself because I've welded stronger hooks to the car body for it to hang on and these required even more stretching of the thick rubbers I used but the end result is a very solidly mounted box.

Also spray some wd40 into the rubbers, they will slip more easy to the hangers...
Hayesey the backbox has stopped bouncing?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:51:09 pm by Alexiskayak_7 »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 10:00:08 pm »
well the standard hooks are prone to bending too easily and the back box falling off, especially when the hangers get a bit rusty.  My exhaust came with some pretty thick rubbers (it's a PPP exhaust from Yoof + Andy) which holds it nice and tight, so yeah it doesn't bounce.