Author Topic: Charger to intercooler Hose  (Read 3367 times)

Offline JregGT

• Members
Charger to intercooler Hose
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:53:48 pm »
Evening folks, the spiral boost hose on my G40 is starting to look a little poopty now. In some of the ribs, obvious wear is showing. I don't think it is leaking now, but not sure it will hold up for too much longer.
So i'm just wondering what people have used as alternatives, I'm going to ring VW tomorrow, but I imagine one will be astonomical money. I'm sure I read somewhere that someone had got away with a 57mm 45 degree silicone hose, but similarily I remember seeing that one of those would be no good! And I can't find either of those posts again!!!

Cheers folks

Rich  :)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Charger to intercooler Hose
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:58:27 pm »
I'm sure I read somewhere that someone had got away with a 57mm 45 degree silicone hose, but similarily I remember seeing that one of those would be no good! And I can't find either of those posts again!!!

Cheers folks

Rich  :)

Yep thats ok to do. Its what i run and most people on here do as well as the ribbed ones are hard to come by.

Are you using toothed belts?

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 09:09:20 pm »
Nice one matey, thanks for the quick reply, will get one ordered up. Yep I'm running toothed belts, that was another thing I was going to post about soon. When I fiited them the belt was suppiled with it, and I'm sure its 1000 in length, i've seen a few posts making me think I should be using a slightly sorter belt, some thing like 985? Would that be right, as i'm guessing my charger will be at the top of its adjustment really?

Rich

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:27:09 pm »
Ooo im not to sure about the belt length. I think that sounds about right, i thought it was 1080 but i might be thinking of something else.

Some people had problems when having toothed belts so the best thing to do is when you order the pipe, ring them and see if they can make the hose longer. That way it wont be too short and then you can cut to size. Viper performance hose's are good and they also do one with a special coating inside to help keep temperatures out. Takes a while to get though as they have to make it.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:30:00 pm »
Are you using a psd kit? You should get one from pete on here as they are the right ones. Can get 960 and 1040.

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:55:41 pm »
Cheers Jezza, will look into it, just had a quick scan on ebay for hoses and there seem to be a few on there, will have a look into lengths for those.
No the pullies aren't PSD ones, they are a set supplied by PhilJ. If those are the belt lengths generally gone by I would hope mine is o.k at 1000. I had no issues when fitting i.e tensioning it etc, just for some reason that length was sticking in my head.
Cheers again for the replies.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 08:25:38 am »
german ones are 1000

psd ones are 1040 length

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 05:14:58 pm »
Sounds right then, Cheers Pete

Rich

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:43:59 pm »
1040 belts mean the oem hose is too short so you need a longer elbow. What toothed belt kit are you using though? If it's a German one I think they have a differant tooth profile; squarer than the PSD kit belts. Best check.

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 10:17:06 pm »
It is a German one matey, I have ordered a 45degree bend with 6inch legs, so should be able to make it fit o.k even with the longer German belt.

Cheers folks

Rich