Author Topic: Thermostats  (Read 3331 times)

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
Thermostats
« on: September 23, 2010, 07:23:06 pm »
Hi guys,  Anyone know of aftermarket colder opening thermostats for the polo, also what temp are our standard vw ones meant to open at?

cheers grant

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Thermostats
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:31:18 pm »
Not 100% sure but i think it opens at 80 degress

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:34:25 pm »
cheers, any ideas about colder opening ones?

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:34:40 pm »
I can say for sure, that the stock thermostat is 84o
If you wanna go colder go for a 80o

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:35:56 pm »
With my oil cooler fitted my water temp hardly goes above 80. Before it was fitted it was around 85-90. That has helped too incase you havent got one?

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 07:36:23 pm »
cheers, any ideas about colder opening ones?

There is no reason for a colder thermostat. Also, buy a colder fan switch...

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 07:58:22 pm »
i do have an oil cooler but my temp is higher than i would like, i think partly because of my FMIC blocking air flow to the rad. when driving hard it can go up 100 c, not sure if my thermostat opening early enough, my fan comes on with the thermo switch at 92c but doesnt keep it down?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 10:23:38 pm »
Bar-tek do an earlier opening stat abd fan switch I think but I'd check that your cooling system is working correctly before you go moding it. Dnt wanna run you engine to cold either realy

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 09:24:42 am »
I have tried deferent thermostats and those I used where 82oC and 88oC! And even with the 82 it didn't help keep the temperatures down even with it circulating the water through the rad early! You probably need a bigger rad or the fan to ran an lower temperatures! And yes your intercooler is probably blocking the rad!

Offline liam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 09:10:15 pm »
now that my coolant system has been renewed my car doesnt go over 80o at all even when being pushed to its limits and thats with quite a big FMIC in the way, so i would definatley look at your cooling system.

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 09:23:11 pm »
well i have recently flushed the whole system and filled with new coolent from vw, i already have a alloy rad and the pump was renewed in november, the thermo switch in the rad is making and the fan is coming on at the right temp 92 i think so what else is there... thermostat its self??  

There is niggling in the back of my mind "head gasket" but that was all done when the timming belt snapped in november and it is not using any water?? could incorrect ignition timing cause a 10-15 degree rise in normal temp because i never had it set with a strobe i just marked the dist' before i removed it??

Anyway pissing me off now coz am a paranoid wreck constantly looking at the temp gauge so just ordered the cooler running thermostat and rad fan switch from bar-tek, fuck it, you cant take it with you >:(

cheers boys
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:26:19 pm by GAF2 »

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 09:36:34 pm »
now that my coolant system has been renewed my car doesnt go over 80o at all even when being pushed to its limits and thats with quite a big FMIC in the way, so i would definatley look at your cooling system.

What all did you do/renew mate?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 09:53:15 pm »
 fuck it, you cant take it with you >:(

cheers boys
[/quote]
 :D ain't that the truth !!
Have you tried measuring water temp som other way the stock temp guage in te car is pretty inaccurate, think it's the black temp sender ( please correct me of I'm wrong !) that gives the guage read out I know a few people have changed this and get very different guage readings try measuring water temp another way if you can.
     Only a suggestion mate I'm definatly no expert !!

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 10:15:49 pm »
my first thought was a dodgy temp sender to the gauge but then i thought "no fuking way am that lucky",lol.  will get a temp scanner from work and check it out but the fan comming in as the gauge reads just over 90c which i think is right fan comes in at 92c.

will wait for the bar-tek stuff to come and see what happens.

cheers.

Offline liam

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 09:58:18 am »

What all did you do/renew mate?

at first i changed the expansion tank because it was spitting all its water out when hot,
then the thermostat and black and blue senders,
then i found out it was my head gasket by running a compression test.(gutted cos i only did 2000 miles since having the whole engine rebuilt.)
so i had the head gasket changed and it was still getting hot, so i changed the rad and fan which i then found out was causing the problem and its been fine ever since,
after all that i even ran it at santa pod on a mega hot day and pushed its limits and it never went over 80o once. problem solved in the end, it probably cost over £400 to sort out but like you said fuck it you cant take it with you!