Author Topic: GSF Headbolts.  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Tommo

• Members
GSF Headbolts.
« on: September 11, 2009, 06:21:05 pm »
Had a great time on the polo yesterday. Took the head off because oil was seeping out of the headgasket in the age old fashion. Went to GSF and bought a HG and a new set of bolts cleaned the threads out in the block, light amount of lube on the bolt, torqued the bolts up, 40nm - 60nm then 180 degrees (I hate angle torques). Last angle torque and it pulled the thread out of the block! Compared the bolts with some  genuine VW ones I had and they were about 3mm shorter, and they had a big chamfer on the end that must have taken 3 threads off, plus the OD was 0.2mm less.

I was fuming. My own fault I suppose but you dont expect that even with GSF bolts.

Anyway, I got a genuine one and cut the washer off, stuck it in and tightened it to 60nm, didnt dare go any further. Will see how long it lasts, hope it lasts till dyno day haha.

Not to worry too much as i have the ABD block to go in sometime. I will probs have to skim my head though after all the abuse its had. And buy some genuine bolts lol.

Offline lance

• Members
Re: GSF Headbolts.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 06:28:00 pm »
i thought only vag bolts for py where the right lenth, the rest are all the same lenth (slightly shorter)

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 06:31:31 pm »
Mines not a PY lol, But I might buy the PY bolts next time just as an upgrade, are they any more expensive?

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 06:32:20 pm »
Oh I got that clutch in lance, its sweet. Pretty grabby but it does the trick.

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 06:39:20 pm »
I got head bolts from the headshop that did all my work they are FAI headbolts and they are slightly shorter than the vw's ones, do you think they will be ok?  VW ones are about £5 each.

cheers grant

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 06:43:00 pm »
£5 each? You have to be joking? Thats £50!!!

Hmmm, Will have to see what other bolts I can get hold of or if I can find the full set of genuine ones and just re use em till they snap.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 06:54:18 pm »
last time i got head bolts they where less than 2 pound each! but i think you'd be fine with the sorter bolts anyway.

pleased the clutch is alright pal, it took what i threw at it anyway.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 11:21:13 pm »
G40 head bolts are 1mm longer than non G40 ones.

The price difference is £4 each!

VW want £5 for each G40 headbolt whereas you can get standard ones for £1 each from GSF and ECPs.

I use non G40 ones!

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 11:41:52 pm »
Yeah well I fitted GSF ones last time I had the head off but they didnt have this massive chamfer on and were a little bit longer (still not quite as long as the VW ones).

The moral of the story is check your bolts, it might even be a GSF fubar, its not uncommon.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 09:18:43 am »
I've got GSF non-g40 ones on mine too but then I do also have the thinner head gasket.

I agree with tommo, it does sound as if you've been given the wrong ones.

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 11:11:00 am »
From what you describe in the first post it sounds like the wrong bolts. Like you say, it's not uncommon for GSF to give out the wrong stuff (seems to be happening more recently).