Author Topic: Can't select 1st and 2nd gears!!!  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Glader Poison

• Members
Can't select 1st and 2nd gears!!!
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:42:31 am »
Hi all,

It happened last weekend after a gentle drive I parked the car. When was time to go, put reverse out of the park spot and I just couldn't select 1st gear nor 2nd gear...the shift stick just wouldn't go forward nor backward altough I have 3rd 4th 5th and reverse.

My father discovered that the rubber ball on top of the shift rod had fall apart so I bought a new one from VAG.

Yesterday I installed the new part but I still don't have 1st and 2nd gear!!!

What do you guys think that might be? Do I have to adjust something?

Greets,
Bruno

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Can't select 1st and 2nd gears!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:37:43 am »
sounds like the gear linkage needs adjusting.  A quick check would be to disconnect the linkage under the car from the rod on the gearbox, then attach the part with the rubber ball onto the rod alone without the actual gear stick part of the linkage and see if you can select all five gears like that under the car (move the rod in the same way you'd move the gearstick inside the car).  If you can't get first & second like that then there is something wrong with the gearbox.  If you can then it's just the linkage needing adjustment. 

Adjusting is easiest with two people, one inside the car holding the stick in the right place and another person under the car undoing the linkage clamp (the one with a nut & bolt), moving it about and tightening up again.  Takes a bit of trial and error to get right.

Offline Glader Poison

• Members
Re: Can't select 1st and 2nd gears!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 11:30:28 am »
Makes sense to me! Will try that!

On the Haynes bible is a procedure to adjust gear stik position indicating two measures...is it a safe starting procedure?

Thanks Hayesey! Helpfull as ever!

Greets,
Bruno