Author Topic: Engine cutting out still!  (Read 1418 times)

Offline jaker272

• Members
Engine cutting out still!
« on: December 16, 2009, 04:19:28 pm »
So, ive still got this problem with the engine cutting out on the g40. Recently its been getting worse too. It just cuts off for a split second over and over again, and sometimes cuts completly out if i dont have the revs up, but can cause the car to judder a fair bit if im in a low gear. It also makes a clicking sound from just behind where the cd player is as it cuts out and the indicator light flashes too!

Basically it happens now everytime i start up he car, and drive it for the first mile or so, regardless of whether the engine is warm or not. Once its been turned off, and driven again, it does it again. It occasionally happens too when ive been driving a while.

The garage has had a look and they think it might have something to do with the immobiliser that was fitted about 10 years ago. Its a clifford immobiliser with a fob thing on the key ring. Could this be a likely cause? Ive noticed the immobiliser does sometimes take a while before it lets me actually start the car. And does anyone know where the main unit for the immobiliser would of been put? Thought it might be whats making the clicking sound if it is causing the problem!

Sorry for the long post, i thought the more info the better, and this problem is starting to get really annoying! Any help/ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jake.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
Re: Engine cutting out still!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:51:17 pm »
The clicking sound sounds like a relay energising.  Possibly immobiliser, defo would not rule that out!  Just have a look as much as you can under the dash for a black box possible with grey wires coming out of them (my clifford was grey wires), or trace the wires back from your immob fob on your dash or from your ignition barrel wiring plug (it'll probably be spliced into it) to a box.  You may have to take off your steering wheel, cowling and/or your stereo possibly.  You should be able to de-solder the alarm/ammob from the fob/ignition barrel, isulate any bare cores, then test drive the car.  If its not, simpy resolder the alarm wiring back on.

other things relay ish, fuel relay next to the ecu? another that i cant think of right now - the other one next to it?

Offline jaker272

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 09:20:05 am »
Well, i havent had a chance yet to look behind the dash. But last night i was waiting in my car, the engine wasnt running, but i had the key in the ignition, turned to 1 stop before starting the car, and it started making the same clicking sound from behind the radio sort of area and the indicator light was flicking on and off, just like what it does when the car is running!

Surely i should be able to rule some stuff out if it does it even if its not running?

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 10:32:40 am »
With just ignition on, then it does sound like the immobliser/alarm unit.   I assume the indicators normally flash when you set/unset the alarm?  It obviously would go through the fuse, so yeah check the fuse connections like Rae has mentioned.

Offline jaker272

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 11:06:39 am »
Nah, the indicators dont flash when the immobiliser is unset, but i expect they flash if the alarm goes off, so its prob all connected. I will have a look at the connections at the back of the fuse box, if that doesnt work, i'm just gonna get them to take the thing off!

Thanks very much for all the help, just wanna get this sorted.