Author Topic: Cleaning threads in block - what do people use ?  (Read 1294 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Cleaning threads in block - what do people use ?
« on: November 04, 2010, 09:51:02 pm »
I'm assuming a standard m11x1.5 metric corse plug tap is what people use and a squirt of compressed air ?? Also do you oil the bolts prior to torquing up to ensure correct torques or are you ment to do it dry ?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Cleaning threads in block - what do people use ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:56:34 pm »
Oil the bolts before putting them in. I've never ran a thread down the bolt holes, just cleaned out and blast of air should do it

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:58:07 pm »
i use cotton wool buds when cleaning threads out.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 10:02:29 pm »
Right cheers guys, for some reason had in my head to clean out threads with a tap first but was a bit worried that the tap might weaken the threads a little making them a little sloppy and more
likley to brake.
   Ill do a bit of air and a bit of cotton buds with a bit of engine oil jobs a good'en !

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 10:18:48 pm »
If you've got the correct size tap that's got to be the best way of cleaning the threads. I can't see you weakening the threads in this way

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 11:41:40 am »
What you want in an ideal world is a thread 'chaser' which cleans and pushes the threads back into place if damaged (rather than cut new ones). It is a 'blunt' form of a regular tap...

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 04:41:13 pm »
You can make a chaser with an old bolt. Make a couple of hacksaw cuts at about 45degrees on the thread, then run a nut up and down it a couple of times to clean it ; one chaser.

Offline newt

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 09:02:42 pm »
i have an old head bolt with a slit cut up it on oposite sides, this cleans the threads and pushes the dirt out and up the slit, i use aerosol copper easeon the bolt as a cleaning addative and fro something to stick the dirt to (aerosol copper ease is alot thinner) then i clean out with brake cleaner as it evaporates hope this helps