Author Topic: Running in a 1341 engine rebuild  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Running in a 1341 engine rebuild
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 02:16:12 pm »
Done an oil change now and there were very small deposits of metal on my mag sump lug. And i mean small, but you would expect that after a fresh rebuild as all the internals would have to bed in and you would get wear.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 03:45:35 pm »
Ok i think i found the problem. The plugs were black so the car is running rich and inside the hole the pistons look normal. Little tiny tiny bit of an oil stain on one but i guess thats normal for 1st start. Would of been a little oil inside bore when it was being assembled? Could also see the valve going down and back in place so i know i defiantly dont have a problem with timing. So with fresh oil in again new filter, then turned the engine over by hand. I noticed that the noise was made again and thinking it was the charger but there is no way it can be that. It was fully serviced and has done hardly any miles. So i looked towards the back of the engine and i could hear it better. The only thing down there near the timing end is the water pump. And NO i didn't get a new one for rebuild as it was new in march from vw. But it sounds like the bearing in the pump has gone. That would explain this terrible grinding noise. Hopefully that will sort it.

Bit of a school boy there but i hope this is the problem. Will find out when i get a new pump from vw next week. Oh and it cant come under warranty as i have to take my car to them to have a look and its not drivable haha just my luck.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 10:34:21 am »
At least it's something simple and relatively cheap though. Have you done the screwdriver stethoscope test on it to confirm? Did you get the pump with metal or plastic blades?

Hope you get it sorted after all the time effort and money you've pumped into it! 8)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 11:18:05 am »
Ok its not the pump. It still made the noise with the pump disconnected. Suspected it was the windage tray so investigating that. But also with it all connected up i noticed that the noise was coming from the lower timing pointer. Was catching the charger belt. So gonna bend it or cut it off and see what difference that makes.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 11:53:33 am »
I'm confused, how can you run the engine with the water pump disconnected? 

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 12:14:48 pm »
Sorry, i should of made it more clear. I could hear the noise just turning the crank initially, so i took the belt off and turned the crank back and forth very slightly and could still hear the noise. So its not the head, not the water pump leaves either this windage tray or the pointer.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 11:19:48 pm »
Well it was the metal lower timing pointer. Few taps with a hammer and the noise has gone.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 03:00:35 am »
*like*

Offline woody02

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 04:26:54 am »
nice easy fix  ;D

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 06:57:14 pm »
Yeah i was glad. Took it out on the road for the 1st time yesterday, just a mile round where we live as the bonnet is still off. Seemed to be running ok. A/F mix was good as well.