Author Topic: teams pulling out of WRC!  (Read 4406 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
teams pulling out of WRC!
« on: December 16, 2008, 12:25:15 pm »
both Suzuki & Subaru have pulled out of WRC in the last week!

Subaru story here:

http://www.pistonheads.com/motorsport/default.asp?storyId=19125

Meaning there are only two works teams next year, Ford and Citroen providing neither of them pull out too.  Looks like even more dire times for WRC ahead.

Especially sad that Subaru have pulled out they've had some great years in the WRC (albeit not the last three or so).  Their image of making turbo rally cars has given the company a totally new image since the 80s.  I was hoping to see something of a return to previous form with their new car next season.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:27:28 pm by hayesey »

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: teams pulling out of WRC!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 01:16:10 pm »
I'd be surprised if Ford stayed in given the current economic climate and the impact it's having on the OEMs.

It's sad, but at the end of the day the manufacturers are going to be wanting to promote the economy and value for money aspects of their cars, rather than performance.

Just hope John that was leaving Aldon Automotive to go work for Prodrive still has his job.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 01:18:52 pm by Andy »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 02:11:25 pm »
yeah good point, I'd have thought this would hit Prodrive quite badly.  I think Ford have committed themselves for next year but I guess they could still get out if they wanted to. 

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 06:08:07 pm »
That's a blow, if it wasn't for the wrc the only people buying subaru's would be farmers.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:15:00 am »
for the moment, Ford are still committed to the WRC for 2009:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72508

I know what you mean about Subaru Neil, if not for their involvement with WRC in the late 80s and throughout the 90s they'd still be seen as farmers cars.  All these boy racers who go around in "scoobies" with massive exhausts wouldn't be seen dead in them!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 05:46:54 pm »
Not sure if Ford will try to part with 'Ford Motorsport' and sell it off, motorsport in general is going to take a huge hit within the next few years.

BTCC is currently in dire straights and WRC has only Shiteron and Ford as works teams next year????

Waiting for Force India, Red Bull etc to drop out of F1 now.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 06:35:02 pm »
read today that not only have Honda pulled out of F1 but they've shelved their plans for the next NSX for the time being too  :( Desperate times indeed!

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 01:16:21 am »
motor industry is taking a massive hit.

was speaking with lecturers today and they are thinking the whole curriculum of 'Motorsport Engineering' needs to be changed.

All well and good being able to make 1000bhp out of a small block but if there is no demand your unemployed.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 07:39:27 am »
The engineering teams for most of the UK-based OEMs are still very busy, they still have to design new cars after all - it's the manufacturing side that's been hardest hit as production volumes are ramped down.

In your choice of uni modules (if you get any) I'd strongly advise going for anything along the lines of alternative fuels, hybrid powertrain, fuel cell or anything else even remotely economy related.

Most of the projects we're getting at the moment are either targetting significant economy and/or CO2 improvements, or in some cases improved safety. Not much along the lines of making stuff go faster that's for sure!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 10:23:18 am »
Citroen have said they're staying too:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72519

although if anyone was to leave I wish it was them!!