Author Topic: omp rollcages  (Read 4152 times)

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
omp rollcages
« on: December 21, 2009, 08:56:18 pm »
Hi guys,

Planning stripping the G through the winter and i want a rollcage, i have read how the safety devices cages dont fit without removing the sunroof (also read it is a nightmare of a job) but has anyone had any experiances of the omp cages.

Do they fit with the sunroof, do they fit at all?

Here's the one: http://www.ybracing.co.uk/page1.php?sitepage=4&part=7985

cheers grant

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
Re: omp rollcages
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 11:43:56 pm »
The OMP cages are very crap fit apparently from what others have said i also don't like the gaps around the omp cages if you or a passenger trap an arm or hand behind the cage its going to fucking hurt if you roll.

I have a Safety devices cage and yes you have to remove your sunroof not great but the fit is perfect you cant even fit a finger between the cage and the shell its sexy!

Removing the sunroof is easy job only takes 30mins with a grinder but its the hole your left with that's a pain!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:01:16 am »

that was my hole a few years ago when I was fitting my safety devices cage.  It took me somewhat longer than 30 mins to remove though!  Maybe I was missing some easier way of doing it???  It's spot welded in all round the hole and then there a few bits where it's welded to the rails on the edge of the inside of the roof and then bonded all with stikaflex all around.

The OMP cages I've seen look shite, they don't fit well and they look really weird how they are shaped around the dash board (although it does stop you from having to cut the dash up).  I've also heard stories of people fitting them having to re-make all the mounting plates as they didn't fit.

Offline LeonL

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 10:18:38 am »
Price of a safety devices cage guys? and were can they be purchased?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:20:38 am by LeonL »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 12:48:48 pm »
from Safety Devices directly or a reseller company, I think I bought mine from George Polley Motorsport.  Price will change daily depending on price of CDS tube so you'll have to phone and ask.

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 02:56:48 pm »

that was my hole a few years ago when I was fitting my safety devices cage.  It took me somewhat longer than 30 mins to remove though!  Maybe I was missing some easier way of doing it???  It's spot welded in all round the hole and then there a few bits where it's welded to the rails on the edge of the inside of the roof and then bonded all with stikaflex all around.

1. Remove sunroof mechanism
2. drill out spot welds or angle grind the flap around the sunroof hole
3. cut with an angle grinder strait down the middle of the sunroof tray splitting the sunroof tray in half then there are a couple of welded flaps at the edge of the inside of the roof witch need cutting and then with a little bit of wiggling every thing pops out.

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 09:23:32 pm »
what did you boys fill the hole with (2mm steel, alu?), was the headling re-usable or was it damaged when removing it?

For the finish did you's fill, sand and paint the new pannel??

cheers guys

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 11:32:26 pm »
i pop riveted some 1mm perspex to fill the hole! its only temporary! i am temped to have a go at replacing the roof skin with a none sunroof skin!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 10:36:53 am »
I've riveted a piece of steel to the roof.  I dimpled the rivet holes and smoothed it over so it doesn't look quite as bad as you might think. 

You'll not be able to reuse the headlining because it'll have a big hole in it!