Author Topic: strange noise , under load  (Read 1720 times)

Offline newt

• Members
strange noise , under load
« on: November 02, 2010, 09:11:57 pm »
i have a strange noise from engine area under load
the times it happens is when you go more throttle from 1100 rpm in any gear except first and it goes away at 2000 rpm
it sounds a little like its pinking , like a tingly noise but i have knocked timing back 5 degrees to eliminate this
as stated above its only when you load the engine up , if you just rest your foot on the pedal and let the revs raise on their own so to speak it doesn do it
so im thinking a bearing of some sort, ive took the belt off (toothed) and checked charger and alternator for play and both seem ok but i can not put said load on them
so the noise is a little like a bearing knocking charger has just been apart and had new oil seals , apex seals, and scroll bearing , the other bearing were fine , it was built by jabba a couple of years back and basically just popped an oil seal ,its done about 200 miles so isnt run in yet but noise has only just started over the weekend
im not looking for an answer over the internet from the abve statement just some ideas on what to check
cheers

Offline dannyb.G40

• Members
Re: strange noise , under load
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:01:09 pm »
I have the exact same problem, goes away after 2000rpm, kind of like a grinding noise and only happens under load, not when revving freely. Mine started to happen when I had the charger rebuilt/fitted toothed belts can't remember which, I will be quite interested to see if you get it sorted!

Offline newt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 10:28:16 pm »
I have the exact same problem, goes away after 2000rpm, kind of like a grinding noise and only happens under load, not when revving freely. Mine started to happen when I had the charger rebuilt/fitted toothed belts can't remember which, I will be quite interested to see if you get it sorted!

what have you checked so far?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 09:17:19 am »
does the noise go away if you run it with the charger belt removed (so the alternator & charger aren't doing anything)?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 09:33:15 am »
interesting when you say 'under load'  do you mean that you are on boost?

normal procedure for running a charger in is 300 miles under 3000 rpm and off boost.

Offline dannyb.G40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 09:45:03 am »
Sorry poor explanation, i mean when driving i.e. in gear, which makes me think its more to do with the gearbox. I will try and remove the belt at the first opportunity but in all honesty I haven't really tried anything so far.

Offline newt

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 05:59:20 pm »
does the noise go away if you run it with the charger belt removed (so the alternator & charger aren't doing anything)?
not yet ison the cards to try

Offline newt

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 06:02:17 pm »
interesting when you say 'under load'  do you mean that you are on boost?

normal procedure for running a charger in is 300 miles under 3000 rpm and off boost.

no boost just under load like being in too high a gear loading the engine up, trying to make it work from low down revs etc
eg30mph in 4th and going half throttle , not bringing it up to boost revs but just trying to accelerate, the time it happens is the time you would asosiate with pinking