Author Topic: Upgrade  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Spacemonkey1993

• Members
Upgrade
« on: September 13, 2011, 03:56:13 pm »
Hi basically im looking to rebuild the engine and i would love some advise as to where and what to buy. Here is the list of the main parts that i want to change...

Head gasket
fuel filter
oil filter
injectors
spark plugs

I am going to get G werks to service the charger, if there is anything else that you recommend i should change please tell me...
Any help would be appreciated as i really don't know where to buy these parts!
Cheers,
Jamie.

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
  • Rebuild time almost over
Re: Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:20:13 pm »
If I were you and doing a rebuild I would strip the engine down completely and see what you need then make a list and take it from there mate. 

As I just rebuilt mine and the further we went along things kept popping up or breaking.

The main things you will need are;

Main and big end bearings
Piston rings
Pistons if yours are foo barred
Look into a new oil pump
Look at having the crank balanced/ check the journals on the crank
Seeing if the head needs skimming
Check the head for cracks as I had to get a new one for mine with new valve guides etc
Top and bottom end gasket sets. 
If your having the engine out and box off may as well look at the clucth cover plate and flywheel

These are all major things though so depending on how far your going with the rebuild you might not want all these parts and things

Try GSF, Bar-tek-tuning, engine stuff.com and Vw themselves for parts they will all have different things at different prices it's worth looking around.

Also others may want to add to the list with bits to get as I have probably missed loads of things off.

Offline Spacemonkey1993

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 04:56:30 pm »
cheers mate thats very helpful... i am going to get the engine literally as good as new!

cheers,
jamie

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 06:28:16 pm »
Brace yourself hard for what this will cost to do it right. You can buy G40's for less. Lol

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:15:01 pm »
Mate vw all the way for parts. Pay the money and its worth it. By rebuild was £500 for the bottom end.

Also defiantly get a new oil pump.

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
  • Rebuild time almost over
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:27:59 pm »
Alex is right mate,  rebuilds ain't cheap at all

Offline Spacemonkey1993

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:52:22 pm »
i know it won't be cheap but i want to do this because im interested to learn and its a good side project... hopefully with a sense of achievement after its finished lol

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 01:02:40 pm »
I'd just get the injectors cleaned and tested, dread to think what VW would want for a set of brand new ones.