Author Topic: undoing camshaft pulley bolt  (Read 1377 times)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
undoing camshaft pulley bolt
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:16:24 pm »
Trying to put the 268/268 on but having no luck (as per usual!)

Got the camshaft loose from the head, belt removed (all marked up for timing purposes) but getting the bolt undone to take the pulley off is causing me a headache. Looked in haynes but it never gives you a proper description imo. Anyone know a quick way as its holding things up :(

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
Re: undoing camshaft pulley bolt
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 05:56:42 pm »
you need to make a "Y" looking tool- and put 2 bolts on each end. you put it in the slots on the pulley and use it as a lever to stop rotation, then use a rachet to undo the nut

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 06:18:11 pm »
ah ha, i see. Hmmmm, i'll go out to the garage to see what pikeytool i can create.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 09:40:23 am »
I either put a 10m socket and extension bar through one of the spoke holes and hold it that way or get a big spanner against one of the spokes and the other end against the engine mount

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 04:43:28 am »
I'll have a go at that cheers Paul. I did try locking the pulley with a bar against the bulkhead but all that seemed to do was rock the engine!!!

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 02:12:52 pm »
Hallelujah, its off :)

Bit of bar wedged on pulley and against bulkhead AND a spanner wedged in the pulley and against the engine mount and a looooong lever bar and hey presto. Just gotta hope i havent fudged the timing up too much now!!!??