Author Topic: de wedging throttle  (Read 3368 times)

Offline boyzey

• Members
de wedging throttle
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:38:15 pm »
hiya guys have bin looking through the faq section on this but cant find allot of info,

wat it is is i have got my gt inlet mani now, so whilst im on with fitting this thought i might aswell de wedge my throttle body people seem to recomend this yes? any one got a link to anything on this subject or wana explain a little mor for me

cheers boyzey

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: de wedging throttle
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 09:13:51 pm »
here's a guide I wrote years ago on the old club g40 site, I guess this needs putting in the FAQ section, for some reason I thought it was already in there:

http://derby.polog40.co.uk/oldsite/modification/dewedge.html

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:16:42 pm »
I also replaced the rivets with liquid metal at some point too, a bit less restriction in the airflow and a bit less likely to do damage if one was to fall out.  If you do use liquid metal then put a chamfer on both sides of the holes so that when the liquid hardens it's basically hourglass shaped.  I have a 51mm throttle body now though which doesnt have any holes in it, I think I gave that throttle body to pete.

Offline g40Ross

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 06:51:57 am »
im guessing this is irreversible?

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 08:17:41 am »
yeah it will be if you use liquid metal to fill the holes, unless you want to muck about redrilling the holes etc or get another throttle plate? If you use rivets then i dont see why you couldnt carefully drill them out...

Offline g40Ross

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 08:35:41 am »
i was thinking of getting a spare throttle body and de wedging that so i can interchange em as and when i want!

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 08:39:43 am »
i was thinking of getting a spare throttle body and de wedging that so i can interchange em as and when i want!
a while tb unit will cost you 50-70 pounds i think - for something you will probs never swap over again..

if your spending money on a tb wait until a 51mm gets put up for sale!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 08:50:29 am »
often the thread in the wedges deforms or the screw snaps in them when you remove them - not always, but there is a risk

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 12:08:08 pm »
The ends of the screws holding the wedges in are punched to stop them dropping out. That tends to wreck the thread in the wedges when you unscrew them.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 02:42:58 pm »
You say the wedges are there to aid at low speeds and smooth set offs, is it really that bad when the wedges are removed?

Would it be worth it for the extra power you're getting?

Adrian
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 04:57:11 pm by AdzCM »

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 05:36:36 pm »
You say the wedges are there to aid at low speeds and smooth set offs, is it really that bad when the wedges are removed?

Adrian
I didnt even notice a difference - but my car had been off the road for a while when i did it

Offline boyzey

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 06:26:55 pm »
oryt hayesey thanx for that link thats mint mate, wen you say bit dodgey on set of wat are we talking like a flat spot between tick over and revs or sumthing, but would people recomend this then yes thers mor gud points than bad ye,

just with the gaskets too am fitting a gt inlet mani at same time, do i order a gt one or a g40, or are they bothe same gasket haha will be getting all 3 from vw to be safe and then

cheers every 1

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:07:16 pm »

Adrian
I didnt even notice a difference - but my car had been off the road for a while when i did it

lol sorry mate, do you mean you didnt notice a difference in power or a difference in the way it drives [i.e. smooth take offs etc]

cheers

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 07:27:13 pm »
gaskets on inlet for gt and g40 are the same

- yuou'll find a bit more poke top end, but will be a bit more on/off when you are setting off as opposed to smooth and progressive

Offline boyzey

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 06:07:44 pm »
orite cheers pete will be getting them orderd next week, i am gessing it is worth duing tho yes cant be so bad the setting of bit as people seem to recomend this dont they