Author Topic: G40 Quaife ATB diff  (Read 5812 times)

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
G40 Quaife ATB diff
« on: September 05, 2009, 03:50:15 pm »
Just picked up my Quaife diff off the back of the club lupo group buy. Here are photos for folk who want a look.

I've just got to finally decide which LSD i'm keeping now, being lucky (or stupid) enough to have both a Quaife and Gripper diff. First impressions of the Gripper was a bit to harsh for my liking, definately more suited to trackday cars. So there may be a cheapish low milage Gripper diff for sale shortly. Watch this space.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: G40 Quaife ATB diff
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 04:04:32 pm »
Keep us up to speed on this one please Nick, I'm between a full paint job and a Quaife at this time. I haven't seen anything from Quaife buyers to date.

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 05:49:47 pm »
Phworrr!

Be interesting to hear your compare/contrast once you've got it in there...

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 08:43:15 pm »
Alex is the man to ask about Quaife, he rates his very highly.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 08:03:34 pm »
Keep us up to speed on this one please Nick, I'm between a full paint job and a Quaife at this time. I haven't seen anything from Quaife buyers to date.

You've not been reading my posts then!

The Quaife LSD is wicked, I've been raving about it on here since mine went in back in March.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 08:14:18 pm »
Pete picked one up this weekend at edition too, had a good look at it.  It looks like a smart bit of kit, amazing they can fit it all inside a polo sized diff.  It'll be interesting to compare the differences in driving with that and a normal plate type LSD.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 09:26:54 pm »

You've not been reading my posts then!

The Quaife LSD is wicked, I've been raving about it on here since mine went in back in March.
[/quote]

Looked back Alex and got even more confused: that machine of yours looks so good. My G's pretty solid but the paint's on it's way out. Trouble is I always wanted a Quaife and it won't be both this year. Decisions, decisions...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:33:30 pm by scotsjohn »

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 10:06:38 pm »
It had a blow-over a few years back which has helped - but it's got a few scabs of rust coming through. Now the chassis and engine are sorted, I fancy getting the bodywork addressed over the winter before it rots any more than it already has.

If the rolling road day goes ahead, come down and I'll take you out in it. It's a fantastic bit of kit. :)

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:07:39 pm »
Got mine too  :)

Does anyone know what the torque setting are for the crown wheel nuts/bolts and driveshaft cup bolts ?

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:48:04 pm »
Got mine too  :)

Does anyone know what the torque setting are for the crown wheel nuts/bolts and driveshaft cup bolts ?

Driveshaft flange centre bolts torque setting is in the transmission section in the mk1 polo Haynes. Can't quite remember off hand though. Not exactly sure the crown wheel nut torque setting, just done it FT in the past. It must be getting on towards that of the flywheels bolts, due to both high rpm and fine pitch threads. I will try and ask at the local dealer to have a look on one of their task description catalogues/pricing things they have nowadays.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:50:13 pm by Nick_S »

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 08:02:45 pm »
Ok, gonna have a work with someone with the VAG worskshop manual.

Did everyone use the original press fit bolts out of the std diff ? As in knock them out and re-use them ? I can only assume quaife have toleranced them to accept the press fit bolts (and assume you will re-use them) as they say it's a total factory replacement. I'm tempted to replace them.

Mine didn't have the packing plates on the std diff, as seen here in Hayeseys guide:

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 10:44:11 am »
What preload, etc are these.  Can they be adjusted like the Gemini diffs?

Looks extremely good for the money!  Me Like! ;D ;D

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 05:59:26 pm »
Have a read up on the way Quaife ATB Diffs work, Paul. They have not adjustment or preload settings, being a worm gear type drive.

I have to admit they look really well packaged and compact. I'm part way through fitting mine and will do some additions to Hayeseys guide for fitting them. Theres a couple of things worth noting over diffs he swapped.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 07:38:42 pm »
yeah be useful that Dan for when I install Pete's in a few weeks.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 03:41:18 am »
Dan,

I rang Quaife and they told me exactly that, "The diff is an exact replacement!! Standard bolts, nuts, and torque settings are to be used!!!"

I have knocked out the original press fit bolts and reused them but to be honest with you have not had an exact torque setting to tighten them to, so i have used 60ft/lb but i would rather replace them if i could get the exact torque settings!!!