Author Topic: machining throttle bodies feeler  (Read 2867 times)

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
machining throttle bodies feeler
« on: January 26, 2010, 07:00:34 pm »
over the next few weeks i'm going to find out my fixtures and jigs for machining out throttle bodies to 50.8mm (2") once i get sorted and setup properly i can start taking orders. i know i have had quite a few requests for this before christmas when i was busy with other stuff.
i will be charging £80 + postage for disassembly,machining, new butterfly to suit and re-assembly.
i will keep this page posted when i get setup.

Also if you have any snapped bolts or stripped threads in charger casings or snapped rocker cover bolts from cam bearing caps etc, i can provide a repair service for these inconveniances.
PM me for postage and price details.
Located in Sheffield.

Cheers Tom

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: machining throttle bodies feeler
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 07:05:21 pm »
think i paid £120 for mine to be done.... im not sore about that :(

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:09:56 pm »
I'd deffinately be interested in one Tom.
I'm not doubting your abilities, but have you done a 51mm t.b. before and tested it? I know there have been problems with some that were made before when the throttle disc didn't fit the body correctly.
Would you be dewedging the throttle as a matter of course? And what about machining/blending in the throttle spindle?
Thanks in advance,
Richard.

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:22:52 pm »
new butterfly = no wedges!

Pretty obvious when you think about it! :D Class dunce ::) :D

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 08:42:22 pm »
Hi Tom, just got another TB for this very reason. I was planning on getting a price locally, does your price include matching the tee piece to the TB? I'd also kind of like to do it myself, but always good to have another option!

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 04:16:42 pm »
Im hugely interested in this Tom.. illl keep my eyes peeled!

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:27:49 pm »
i machined one out last year for PeteG40 and didn't manage to do the T piece very well, i need to make a new fixture for this so this may take a little time.
i stripped his throttle body down, bored it out to 50.8mm and made a butterfly to suit. if you notice on a stock de-wedged throttle body the butterfly doesn't seal properly, this must be one of the reasons why the wedges were origionally fitted.
another problem i had was getting a good finish, it was smooth but didn't look it. someone once mentioned the surface had to be as smooth as glass to restrict airflow turbalance, personally i can't see how this matters on the throttle body as the air has just passed a T piece on top, the shape of the T piece is more than enough to cause turbalance.

basically all i'm saying is you'll get a bored out throttle body to 50.8mm, fully re-assembled and working.

i am trying to figure out how to machine both the throttle body and T piece in one go.

Cheers Tom

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 07:29:44 pm »
Ill be interested in this tom, plus ur only round the corner, sheff discount , you coming to UD?

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 09:27:18 pm »
Not sure if your making the butterfly or not but buying them in is relatively cheap and ensures a good circle

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 07:57:56 pm »
Ill be interested in this tom, plus ur only round the corner, sheff discount , you coming to UD?

no problems etches :)  yeah i might be coming, see how it goes

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 08:07:31 pm »
Not sure if your making the butterfly or not but buying them in is relatively cheap and ensures a good circle

yeah i usually turn them and part them off.