Author Topic: Chassis overhaul  (Read 1759 times)

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Chassis overhaul
« on: May 21, 2011, 12:23:12 pm »
My standard shocks and bushes are worn, as well as tracking, top mounts, etc (tyres and driveshafts are about the only good things).

So I'm looking to overhaul the lot;

top mounts

bump stops

springs

shocks

Disks (not just yet)

Pads (not just yet)

bushes (inc. rear axle pivot/mount)

Anyone got any reccomendations? I'd love a subframe but can't really justify that on top of all this and a charger overhaul and saving to go to Australia!

I'd like to drop the car so the arches are sitting on the top of the tyres (I don't like it when they hide tyre walls) which is about 40mm drop from current from memory (so a 60mm kit?). I'm not fussed about adjustability, I just don't want the ride to be hard, if I could get the drop with the standard feel that'd be ideal but I reckon it'd have to be stiffened unfortunately to make the suspension travel less (as there's less travel available).

I know that G-ladersiete does various kits but I'm not sure if they're any better than normal top mounts/ poly bushes and so on. I know their top mounts are adjustable, but do they work on the road or are they a waste of time and overkill/ constantly need set-up from being knocked out due to bumpy roads etc? I do approx 40 miles of A-roads and 40 miles of motorway daily (round trip) to work and back so don't want it too full on/ uncomfortable for daily driving.

Recommendations, feedback and thoughts appreciated!

Budget; dunno really about £300? Not fussed too much about brakes, I can do that at a later date I'm more on about suspension/ geometry orientated things for now and would rather do the lot in one hit. Still interested to hear about brakes though as I'll refer back to this when I go to sort them, thinking I may go for 256's if they fit under std vw 14" rims (P-slots now but thinking BBS or Castalets if they show up at the right price)

Cheers

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Chassis overhaul
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 01:43:33 pm »
for £300 all in, you have little option but to go for el-cheapo stuff! really... i'd go vag for top mounts - £40-50 gone already and brembo discs/pagid pads is another £50 leaving you only £200 to play with for the rest

pete

Offline grantvw

• Members
Re: Chassis overhaul
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 10:35:06 pm »
save some extra pennys and buy a weitec suspension kit i have them on my saloon and i wouldn't have anything else now look for a hicon gt kit