Author Topic: G40 engine cutting out, help please?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline jaker272

• Members
G40 engine cutting out, help please?
« on: September 06, 2009, 01:54:42 pm »
Hi, bought a G40 off a mate last week, first few days of driving it was fine, but recently the engine has started cutting out.
It seems to happen mostly when changing from 3rd to 2nd when i put the clutch in. The battery light comes on, and there is also like a quiet clicking sound (kind of like the sound of a fuse blowing) from just behind the dash, i think. It only clicks for a split second before it cuts out. The same this happened once aswell when i was in 4th, i could just hear the clicking sound and the lights etc went out for a split second.
It happened again when i reversed out the drive earlier on, i put the clutch in so i could change into 1st, and it cut out then too.
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or has any idea what it could be? My mate said he thinks it could be the co2 sensor? I dont have a clue really, any help would be much appreciated.

Jake.

Offline jaker272

• Members
Re: G40 engine cutting out, help please?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 03:53:38 pm »
Just had a look under the bonnet, and ive noticed some oil is leaking from some gasket. How bad is this, and is it likely to be causing the engine to cut out?
It had a new head gasket less than a year ago, and on the  invoice from the garage it says refit with all new gaskets etc. Would that include this gasket? Heres some photos.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:05:51 pm by jaker272 »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 04:38:14 pm »
thats a rocker cover gasket - and it looks like non vw on it... cheap and easy to replace.

the cutting out sounds like yr battery or alternator

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 08:19:33 pm »
cutting out could be one of a million things really, does it idle ok the rest of the time?  Could be the aux air valve under the inlet manifold is stuck open?  Also could be ignition timing related so worth getting that checked first before you start looking at expensive things like the o2 sensor.

Offline jaker272

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:19:43 am »
Thanks for the help. It seems to run and idle fine the rest of the time. Its recently had a new battery so i cant see it being that. I'll try and get some of that other stuff checked out.
Took the car out last night, did about 25 miles or so, and it was fine, didnt cut out at all, maybe it will just sort its self out over time!

Offline LeonL

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 10:13:51 am »
Is the correct gasket to replace part number "030103483c"?

Thanks