Author Topic: Fuelling Issues - running rich  (Read 1296 times)

Offline eggeyes

• Members
Fuelling Issues - running rich
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:39:34 pm »
Hi all,

After driving to Newquay this weekend the G developed a worring problem when a LOT of black smoke was pouring out of the exhaust. I went to my local garage today and had it on the gas analyser, it was adjusted fine on the CO pot at tick over (not too rich) but after revving to 3000rpm it was then running rich.

On the motorway between 3000 and 3500rpm the engine would judder also which was a bit unnerving as well as drinking fuel over 3000rpm onwards.

Would I be right in thinking the lambda probe may be at fault? I have tested the resistance of the CO pot (1.3Kohm after being run for a while - aka warm to hot - across pins 2 and 3)

I shall check all earth straps tomorrow along with vacuum pipes and anything in the quide in the FAQ section.

Has anybody had a problem like this and how was it resolved?

Thanks guys

Offline eggeyes

• Members
Re: Fuelling Issues - running rich
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 09:05:16 pm »
Forgot to mention, the mechanic said the air temperature was at -2 degrees celcius when it was running and hot, via the diagnostic equipment.

I just mentioned the resistance again

Between pins 1 and 3 - 350 ohms (I know this may be too rich)

Between pins 2 and 3 - 2k ohms

I leaned the pot off to 550 ohms and the fuel was spitting out of the exhaust. HELP PLEASE!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 09:46:56 am »
probably the lambda yes.  That air temp reading is a red herring, it always reads like that.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 09:49:03 am »
unplug the lambda and see if it improves.