Author Topic: Polo GT specs- Can anyone tell me?  (Read 3833 times)

Offline G40_andi

• Members
Polo GT specs- Can anyone tell me?
« on: June 19, 2011, 06:54:22 pm »
Hi, i heard the polo GT is the same as the g40 but without the charger and a few other things... But does anyone know the top speed of the gt and the 0-60 times because there no where on the internet that has this. The GT originally had 75hp, what you reckon it would be now? And do you think it would beat most other 1.3 hatchbacks that chavs seem to like, Trying to get one of these as there different to corsas, saxo's and 106's
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 07:19:22 pm by G40_andi »

Offline Alvaro

• Members
Re: Polo GT specs- Can anyone tell me?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:25:25 am »
The gt is not the same as a g40.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:17:25 am »
yes the engines are quite a lot different.  I can't believe no where on the internet has 0-60 times for a gt.  I think it's probably about 10 or 11 seconds as standard.  Only 75bhp but they're very light and have a close ratio gearbox which is good for acceleration.  However, if you're trying to be the fastest thing on the road then you need to buy a buggati veron, not a polo gt.

Offline G40_andi

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:51:40 am »
Haha i wish i could get a veyron, but im only 18 :) comparing the GT to the other standard 106, corsas and saxos they do seem to have more hp and are alot lighter, plus they look much better. I want something quick for what it is.. Plus i think this and the g40 are fast becoming rare and collectable. Haha well i thought gt was a g40 without the supercharger and had a few less features?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 11:56:03 am »
GT and G40 are totally different animals in terms of performance but also costs to buy & run.  Unlikely you'll be able to afford g40 insurance at 18 unfortunately.  GTs are great cars though, I used to have one as a daily driver and it was great fun.

Offline G40_andi

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:31:26 pm »
well i wanted the g40 first but im not paying £8000 insurence, maintanence would be cheeper as im a mechanic. I think il buy the gt as its got potentail and the insurence is cheaper aswell

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 12:59:20 pm »
I think people are being a bit harsh here. In simple terms a G40 is a GT with a charger on it. We all know
some engine internals are different, but bar the chrager, a couple of rose joints, the vented disks & rear anti roll bar they are essentialy the same car.

ergo the statement "GT is the same as a G40 but without charger and a few other things" is not untrue. I imagin alot of g40 owners like me and you started with a GT for the same reasons G40_andi is looking at one. They are great cars.

My Brother in law owend a Tommi Makinen Evo 6 for the weekends, but still got thrills driving an old GT squareback to work every day.

Offline G40_andi

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 01:14:24 pm »
yeah thats what i thought :) firstly want one to stand out, be a one off, then hopefully when im older il get the g40 or swap engines ;) also there more reliable than french car, only thing im scared of is high mileage
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:16:22 pm by G40_andi »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 01:17:23 pm »
but it's not the same though, different pistons, different crank, different block, pretty much the only same part is the con rods & bare head casting.

Saying it's the same except the charger to me implies that all you need to do to convert a gt into a g40 is bolt a charger & bracket on, and as we know that's not the case so why lead people on to thinking that?

Get a GT, they are awesome cars.  Then as you say, buy a g40 or do an engine conversion on your GT when you are a bit older and insurance wont be so insane.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:19:02 pm by hayesey »

Offline G40_andi

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 01:26:02 pm »
well yeh i knew that because the g40needs to handle the higher compression ratio n that, i just said it in very simple terms lol, yeah think il get the gt, reckon il get a decent one for a £1000? Not botherd bout doing work to it

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
  • Rebuild time almost over
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 01:26:47 pm »
Hayesey- Even the head castings are different as I just found out using a standard head on mine the valve guides were a different diameter so the head had to be bored to take g40 valve guides.  

Get a GT bud you can do a few things to them and get near the 100bhp mark that will be plenty.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 01:56:38 pm »
well yeh i knew that because the g40needs to handle the higher compression ratio n that, i just said it in very simple terms lol, yeah think il get the gt, reckon il get a decent one for a £1000? Not botherd bout doing work to it

I take it you meant the GT?  The G40 has a lower compression ratio (8:1) than a GT (12.5:1 i've got in my head?) for obvious reasons. 

GT's are getting rare too so prices are staying high with them, that said they are a great revvy motor and there are times that you'd have more fun on that twisty back road with a GT than modded G40.

Just don't go crazy with modding the GT trying to chase power, stick to 90-100bhp and have fun.  There are also plenty of options when thinking about engine transplants too if you don't want to go FI.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 02:48:08 pm »
Hayesey- Even the head castings are different as I just found out using a standard head on mine the valve guides were a different diameter so the head had to be bored to take g40 valve guides. 

that's not a g40 specific difference.  Later mk3 polos have different size valve stems, but it covers the whole range not just g40s.  In fact I think all g40s had the earlier spec heads.

Andi - I'd expect a VERY good GT for a grand.  Don't limit yourself to looking on club polo ;)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 03:09:36 pm »
have you seen the emergance of 2k GT's on clubpolo? the world has gone mad

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 05:14:51 pm »
2K now? absolute madness!!!!!