Author Topic: My G keeps cutting out when warm  (Read 1096 times)

Offline josé

• Members
My G keeps cutting out when warm
« on: March 10, 2010, 06:50:32 pm »
Evening all,

after abit of advice if anyone can help me?

i have tried the search bar but none of the problems that others have had seem to match this one  :(

I'll start the G40 up from cold let it warm up nicely before taking it out for a thrash and it will drive faultlessly, then if i turn off the ignition and leave the car for say anything from 10 minutes upto about an hour or so and come to start it, it will fire in sweet as a nut then the revs will gradually start to drop off and it will cut out if i blip the accelerator to keep the engine going the revs will hold for a minute or so, start to drive then it will missfire like mad, lose power and judder until i apply some revs and it will clear the missfire for a minute then when i come to a junction to stop it will just cut again, but when the car has warmed up/been driven for about 10-20minutes it all clears and it will drive faultlessly as thought none of the above had occured, it seemed to me as though the blue temperature sender was faulty i have changed that for a new genuine VW one and the problem still occurs,

any idea's/help on how to reslove the issue would be greatly appreciated

many thanks josh

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: My G keeps cutting out when warm
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:06:37 pm »
have you checked the alternator is putting out the correct voltage and battery is good.  I'm sure this happened on my dad's gt, it would always start but used to get spluttery when hot

also you could check for any moisture in the dizzy cap.  water can be ok, but when hot evaporates misting and getting everywhere - causing issues

Offline josé

• Members
Re: My G keeps cutting out when warm
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 07:14:05 pm »
thanks for the reply pete  :)

the battery and alternator were new last year so should be ok, but i'll check the voltage anyway what readings should i get if the battery is ok around 12volts? i think there is a thread on it by dan knight isn't there?

i will also check the dizzy cap and give it a clean round etc

cheers josh