Author Topic: boost return mod scrapped  (Read 7036 times)

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
boost return mod scrapped
« on: November 21, 2008, 06:53:55 pm »
i decided to remove my boost return mod today after not been really satisfied with the results after realising that my charger lost a slight amount of power, not a lot but just enough to notice. it cost me a trip to the dealers for a couple of spare's too but i think the car runs much better now everythings back in order. sooo if anyone's interested in my oil catch tank just let me know. it took me a full 2 hours to make and looks quite tidy  ;)
does anyone else agree that the mod loses a little power of was it just my mind playing tricks on me.
i believe in running warm air through thats all, cold doesn't sound good for the charger although i have been assured by WozzaG40 it works absolutely fine without any problems.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: boost return mod scrapped
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 07:13:26 pm »
dunno what happened there, warm air is never better for performance, ever.  It has less oxygen in it per litre the warmer it is.  I certainly never found a performance drop but each to their own. 

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:33:15 pm »
i know in theory it should be better but i have no idea why mine lost power, i know the workings of the charger would benifit from being warm and if you got the correct combination of warm charger and ice cool air the performance should be much better tho this is impossible to achive. the charger would improve with a little heat due to the tolerances inside tho as you said hayesey the cooler air the better due to oxygen content. maybe it was just me thinking it was slower but at least now i'm at piece of mind.

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:41:40 pm »
stick up a pic of the tank, impulse buy etc

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:34:51 pm »
Not sure what happened there mate, out of everyone i have spoke (an thats alot) to not one single person had made a comment on power loss due to removing the boost return. All i can say is mine is fine and has done over 35,000 miles without the boost return, came out of the rebuild ok aswell.

As giorgio has said gets some pics up.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 12:23:50 pm »
i reckon you might've had a little boost leak from the boost return to be honest.

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 05:52:54 pm »
dunno Pete. but i took her for a run today and everything felt fine again. dont think there was any leaks mate cos everything was properley striped and inspected, suppose its just peace of mind for me.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:56:04 pm by tdh-syorks »

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 12:33:48 am »
im not a fan of the mod, i think it realy messes with the g40 set up, i dont rate it, but thats just my own personal views...

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 07:11:08 pm »
i reckon you might've had a little boost leak from the boost return to be honest.

??? there should be no pressure to get a leak from it ???

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 07:14:57 pm »
Don't forget, you can still run the boost return with the oil catch tank separate to handle the hot oily air from the crank case, VAG only combined them to satisfy the tree huggers!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 08:34:25 pm »

there is when you are on full throttle with the BRV supposedly closed.

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 05:50:59 pm »

there is when you are on full throttle with the BRV supposedly closed.

If the valve is closed then there is only vacumm in the return pipe, if the valve is not properaly closed then the excess boost is there but thereshould be no pressure to cause a leak?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 07:58:24 pm »
there is pressure, that's kind of the point of forced induction.  The pressure behind the BRV equals whatever you read on a boost gauge as the throttle will be fully open. 

Offline g40_jez

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 09:18:24 pm »
I'm sure G-spot is right. The boost return pipe is connected to a point at the intake to the charger, which is at atmospheric pressure (more or less - actually the pressure downstream of the air filter). Therefore it can never contain any boost - effectively it's open at one end.

It occurs to me that you guys could be talking on cross purposes, if Hayesey means perhaps that the boost return valve is leaking or not closing properly - that would certainly cause a loss of boost.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:22:23 pm by g40_jez »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 09:42:19 pm »
well yeah, that's what pete was saying, if the BRV was leaking then pressurised air would be escaping out.  I'm not really sure what else Pete could have meant, Pete?