Author Topic: Cam belt change HELP please :)  (Read 3674 times)

Offline dani1326

• Members
Cam belt change HELP please :)
« on: November 29, 2010, 04:59:28 pm »
i need my cam belt changing ASAP so has anyone got a guide to how to do this? ( where to lock off the cam, crank and so on )???

thanks peeps

Offline dani1326

• Members
Re: Cam belt change HELP please :)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 05:03:55 pm »
ohhh am i better off with VAG parts ( water pump/belt ) or can i use GSF parts??

anyone got any part number for ordering?? i haven't got a clue what year the engine is sooo.... :/ need help

also what haynes manual will i need for my Polo G40 1.3 engine ( sorry to be a pain im new to the G40 :) )

thanks  :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:18:13 pm by dani1326 »

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 05:50:27 pm »
If you go to vw for water pump its on an exchange basis and they give you one with plastic blades on. Most people tend to prefer metal blades as the plastic ones can snap off/melt.

But you do get a year warranty on vag parts. I would go for the cam belt from them as its only £12 or something.

Offline dani1326

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:54:00 pm »
If you go to vw for water pump its on an exchange basis and they give you one with plastic blades on. Most people tend to prefer metal blades as the plastic ones can snap off/melt.

But you do get a year warranty on vag parts. I would go for the cam belt from them as its only £12 or something.

Nice one... I don't have an engine code or year of the engine to get the parts so any clue where it I's?? I think mine it a py :/

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 05:56:45 pm »
No lock off kits for the old polo as far as I'm aware mate. There's a timing mark on the cam pulley and one on the inside of the cam belt cover. Remove the cambelt cover,take out the plugs, rotate the belt till these marks line up, then gently wedge both pulleys with something like pieces of soft wood. You will find things a lot easier if you loosen the offside engine mounting and jack the engine up at that end. Drain the coolant system then you can remove the waterpump. I'd replace with OE parts; pump and belt from any 1.3 90-94 will do. About £45. Secret of success is to be as gentle as possible so as not to disturb the pulleys. No Haynes specifically for the G40. Have fun.

Offline dani1326

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 06:05:02 pm »
No lock off kits for the old polo as far as I'm aware mate. There's a timing mark on the cam pulley and one on the inside of the cam belt cover. Remove the cambelt cover,take out the plugs, rotate the belt till these marks line up, then gently wedge both pulleys with something like pieces of soft wood. You will find things a lot easier if you loosen the offside engine mounting and jack the engine up at that end. Drain the coolant system then you can remove the waterpump. I'd replace with OE parts; pump and belt from any 1.3 90-94 will do. About £45. Secret of success is to be as gentle as possible so as not to disturb the pulleys. No Haynes specifically for the G40. Have fun.

thanks for you advice mate.... so basically if i can line up the marks before hand they should stay in place if im soft handed

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 06:23:43 pm »
This is that you need

water pump             030 121 005LX    £34.00
O-ring water pump    030 121 043B      £3.00
timing belt (late)       030 109 119A    £14.73

There is a £20 surcharge on pump?

Offline dani1326

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 06:39:16 pm »
This is that you need

water pump             030 121 005LX    £34.00
O-ring water pump    030 121 043B      £3.00
timing belt (late)       030 109 119A    £14.73

There is a £20 surcharge on pump?

you legend :) thanks mate... so if i take my old water pump bk ill get £20 back??

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 06:52:54 pm »
Yeah. I think its £20 but best thing to do is take it in when you buy the new one. And if you get any problems then go straight back to them but keep the receipt or they wont do jack. Whats happened to me before but i mingled around it and they got me a new pump and fitted free of charge.

Offline dani1326

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 12:57:29 pm »
Yeah. I think its £20 but best thing to do is take it in when you buy the new one. And if you get any problems then go straight back to them but keep the receipt or they wont do jack. Whats happened to me before but i mingled around it and they got me a new pump and fitted free of charge.

TOP LAD thanks for the advice it all came in at £105 and will hopefully be ready to be picked up thursday :)

thanks for all your help... i might get a lot of pics and make a guide up

Offline dani1326

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 11:57:37 pm »

iv got one problem with lining up the timing marking.... basically my G has an eaton charger and dose not have the V belt setup ( think its a 20v pulley ) soo how will i sort that out.... am i best off lining up the top mark then making my own mark on the crank pulley??

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 12:02:49 am »
Yeah, before taking the old belt off

Offline dani1326

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 09:36:42 pm »
Yeah, before taking the old belt off

im going to tackle the cambelt tomoz so thanks for your help lads, ill let you no how it gos....

one last think it is 1/4 of a turn for the tightness of the belt.

thanks dudes

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 09:41:07 pm »
90 degress on the longest part of belt i think.

Offline dani1326

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 09:24:41 pm »
90 degress on the longest part of belt i think.

So about 1/4 of a turn? Or is it less/more