Author Topic: flooded out  (Read 3422 times)

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
flooded out
« on: August 26, 2008, 08:11:34 pm »
i was gutted when i recently opened my car and the drivers side was full of water, after checking the sunroof (which does leak a little) i realised that all that amount of water couldn't possibly have come in through there upon i found that it was coming in from the engine bay where the drain behind the battery is. if i put my hand up the back of the dash i can feel all the inner wing has badly rotted away, i need to repair this asap and was wondering which was the best way to get to it?
will i need to remove the dash?? if so could someone advise me how to do so.
or would it be easier to remove the front wing?
thanks guy's and gals

jonboy

Re: flooded out
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 05:30:38 pm »
best way is indead to remove the dash, but it can be done without. if you go down the without removing dash route you will need 1 person in the car at all times with a squirty bottle of water as theres loads of foam and sound deadening that will smoulder a bit. make sure you pull the carpets back and tape any of the cars loom up and out of the way.
you cant buy replacement panel for this bit, so you have 2 choices
1 cut one out of a scrap polo
2 make your own panel.
it is a bit more difficult to weld in without removing the dash, but there is just enough room.  i would advise removing the bonnet to give easier access though.

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
Re: Re: flooded out
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 10:47:17 pm »
will try that thanks for your help, ill probably make my own panel,
cheers

Offline y4n

• Members
Re: Re: Re: flooded out
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 01:38:25 pm »
I would take the dash out, that way it wont end in tears.  Its a bit more work but gives you loads of room to weld and not worry about starting a bonfire :D

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: flooded out
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 07:45:45 pm »
will do, thanks