Author Topic: Stainless Manifold fitting  (Read 5852 times)

Offline ashmang40

• Members
Stainless Manifold fitting
« on: April 17, 2012, 10:07:01 pm »
Hello i have just bought a stainless manifold on ebay for a G40, has anyone fitted one before because looks like the supercharger mount is in the way, and the antiroll bar any advice thanks Ash

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
Re: Stainless Manifold fitting
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:29:53 pm »
can you post which manifold you bought?

i think i had this same manifold and i had to cut the charger bracket to fit!
and it did clear the anti-roll bar..

but this wasn't the best option for g40..

PPP manifolds are one of the best ad say!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:39:27 am »
they don't fit.  Returning it for a refund is probably your best bet. 

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 12:36:12 pm »
this is good advise, i did exactly that am afraid, and opted for the PPP manifold

Offline ashmang40

• Members

Offline xandyx

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 06:41:06 pm »
those ebay manifold only have a better look over standard, in performance, you won't feel a thing!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 09:15:47 am »
^^ yep.  And that's after you've hacked it to pieces to get it to fit a g40.  You should be able to return it as not fit for purpose since it doesn't actually fit a g40.

Offline paulg40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 11:17:12 pm »
Just to update this post, I had one of these manifolds to try and it definitely won't fit a G40, I did infact get it to fit up to the point of putting the exhaust on.

Basically once you have got it to fit with the engine mount you then need to get it to fit with the charger outlet elbow which gets in the way especially if running toothed belts, then it hits of the anti-roll bar. And then even if you are lucky enough to sort that issue out and you are running anything other than the standard sized exhaust the exhaust will not fit period!

So the only problem you have now is finding anything else on the market as these are all you can find, even Max RPM are selling them annoyingly.

So I have luckily managed to find a second hand PPP manifold which are also hard to come by. Pretty frustrating really but then thats part of the fun of owning an older car.

So anyway warning to anyone tempted to try these on a G40 DON'T!!

Offline cookie79

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 10:47:00 am »
I've also made the mistake of buying one of these manifolds, i took it along to a custom stainless exhaust place near me & asked if they could fit me a full stainless system & modify the manifold to fit, they rang me about an hour after dropping the car off to say that to make it fit the first pipe would have such a severe bend on it once modified that it would not be good for the car, is this true? Could it not be modified successfully? Also does the PPP manifold fit fine around all the supercharged brackets or do you still need to loose the top T brace piece?

Offline Merrick

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 04:39:39 pm »
The PPP manifold looks awesome I have to say!!! Have you fitted it yet? If so how did it go in and did improve performance?

Offline dekerf1996

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 08:46:12 pm »
It depends on how tuned your car is really. Does it warrant a 4 branch manifold or will the standard on be good enough?

I remember Jabba getting around 180 bhp with a standard manifold, back in the day.

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 09:18:04 pm »
^ maybe but surely it's got to helpful before that point? as opposed to when it becomes the limiting factor?

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 02:01:49 pm »
i have one from Roettele racing. (+ group n exhaust) 

had to loosen engine to fit. it really is a 1mm right fit (at the charger) on my car. no adaptations had to be made though. 

Offline Phil

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 10:15:08 pm »
The cheap ones are exactly that, cheap. Some fit, some don’t. Hence I don’t bother selling them for a G40 anymore.

“maybe but surely it's got to helpful before that point? as opposed to when it becomes the limiting factor?”

What most people seem to forget is to tune for the overall goal. If that’s 160 or 170hp, putting on a massive manifold on with 2.5” downpipe and exhaust may let it scream more top end, but will be detrimental to torque lower down on the rev range when that is the car’s best attribute.

I’ve seen many Germans with G60 laders and stock exhaust manifolds pulling big horsepower. In fact I met one the other day claiming 265ps on a G60 lader’d G40 on a stock exhaust manifold. Regardless of whether he’s had his g40 RR’d at the club’s favoured Aldon, if it’s 20 or 40hp out, that still shows there is nothing wrong with the original manifold for anyone running a G40 lader. I’d be intrigued to see if the ppp manifold would make any power on that setup. That is the type of power levels you’d want a 2.5” downpipe in my opinion, and that of many books.

A quick google shows people claiming to have made 400hp on a 2.5” exhaust - so why are people fitting them to 160hp polo’s?

Offline Jacque

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »

PP manifold does look massive, most manifolds are not that big in diameter no?