Author Topic: Panel Filter vs Induction Kit  (Read 5349 times)

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Panel Filter vs Induction Kit
« on: December 04, 2008, 11:35:39 pm »
Chaps

I am trying to decide between a K&N Panel filter with a drilled air box with the plastic restrictions taken out and a K&N induction kit.

What do you guys think?

Anyone tried both before?

Want to try the panel filter as it looks more tidy but i am guessing it will be more restrictive than the induction kit.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Panel Filter vs Induction Kit
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 11:49:20 pm »
well for me, I use a cone filter because I put it in the space between the bumper and the arch liner front part.  Then I have more under bonnet space as the stock airbox takes up a lot of space.  Would be surprised if there are any difference in terms of power output between a stock airbox with decent filter and restrictions removed and a cone filter with decent heat shielding. 

Offline GSBellew

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 01:25:41 am »
well for me, I use a cone filter because I put it in the space between the bumper and the arch liner front part.  Then I have more under bonnet space as the stock airbox takes up a lot of space.  Would be surprised if there are any difference in terms of power output between a stock airbox with decent filter and restrictions removed and a cone filter with decent heat shielding. 

I might be missing something, but what exactly do you need more under bonnet space for  ???

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 08:13:39 am »

I might be missing something, but what exactly do you need more under bonnet space for  ???

He has a standalone oil system mounted there i believe

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 10:55:33 am »

catch tank, stand alone charger oil supply tank & pump....the list goes on.

Offline GTG40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 11:23:57 am »
I just got a K&N panel filter for my air box
I think there better than cone filters as the standard air box is designed to suck in cold and dry air so engine will be happy in all weathers. VW know what there doing most of the time  ;D.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:27:08 am by GTG40 »

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 10:41:39 pm »
I just got a K&N panel filter for my air box
I think there better than cone filters as the standard air box is designed to suck in cold and dry air so engine will be happy in all weathers. VW know what there doing most of the time  ;D.

Enclosed airboxes with a poxy little convaluted pick up point from somewhere behing the grill are what all manufactures use, it keeps induction noise down to a minimum and ensures longevity of the air filter. They were never meant to be for optimum performance.
I know what you're saying about cone filters though. Most I see aren't ideally sited and/or are susceptable to drawing in warm air. However, correctly installed with a proper cold air feed and sealed away from hot air they are probably the least restrictive and hence best performing of the 2 methods.