Author Topic: Oil leak  (Read 2259 times)

Offline GOINGOINGONE

• Members
Oil leak
« on: May 04, 2014, 08:49:29 pm »

Need some help people, got this oil leak as you can see in the picture and i cant work out where its coming from...It only leaks when the engine is running and oil level is dropping slowly....The cam shaft seal and cam cover gasket are solid so i know for a fact its not coming from there....What else should i have a look at that might be causing the leak?

Cheers

Offline AdzCM

• Members
Re: Oil leak
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:52:41 pm »
How do you know for a fact its not coming from there? Can't think where else it could be coming from on that side. Best to use a sealant along with the gasket on the rocker cover. Always wept on mine until I did that.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 11:12:08 am »
There's a paper oil seal and a rubber one behind the crank pulley

Offline GOINGOINGONE

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 01:20:37 pm »
I know its not coming because ive already put the sealant on both the gasket and the cam seal..

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 02:22:06 pm »
There's a paper oil seal and a rubber one behind the crank pulley

Suppose it could be the paper gasket. Didnt think it would be the crank seal as the oil looks to be on the top of the housing? Suppose you could try them next...

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 06:20:40 pm »
you need to take the timing belt off and all the covers (and to be safe probably the cam out so valves dont hit pistons)

then undo crank pulley bolts, remove aux pulley, then you need to remove big crank bolt (its a single use bolt so get a new one from vag).  Then you'll see a plate.. remove that and chances are the paper gasket will have gone.  Unfortunately these are obsolete and only available from elring as part of a full bottom end gasket set.  So most people make their own from gasket paper... Suppose you could use some gasket sealant instead.

Then plate back on, pulley back on, cam back in, timing belt back on, covers back on.

Pete

Offline GOINGOINGONE

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 11:01:26 pm »
thanks guys!