Author Topic: D.T.R.L?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline jules

• Members
D.T.R.L?
« on: June 16, 2010, 06:31:38 pm »
Eyup lads

Does Anybody know how to wire the G up for day time running lights,is it just a case of running a wire from the ignition to the light switch???? the only reason i ask is because i need them for a canadian inspection...

Many thanks in advance Jules :)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: D.T.R.L?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 07:47:17 pm »
if it were me, I'd use a 12v automotive relay which are available for a quid or so from an electronics place (do you have a radio shack nearby?).  Wire the coil side up to 12v ignition switched live.  Then wire up the contact side in parallel with the wires to the back of the headlight switch which turn on the sidelights. 

Or the simpler method would be to wire a switched ignition 12v directly up to the wire from the back of the headlight switch which goes to the sidelights.  The only potential issue here is making sure that where ever you take the ignition switched live from is capable of carrying enough current for all the lights.

Offline jules

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 03:48:27 am »
Thanks for the reply,but wiring is not my thing and i left my haynes manual in england,do you know what colour wires i need to tap in to...i was going to take a switched live from the back of the ignition barrel and run it to the front side lights but dont know which wires or do i just need a wire from the barrel to the light switch ??/
if you know what colour wires to use that would be great..
cheers jules

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 09:23:08 am »
haynes manual is here:

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=116090

I dont know the colours off the opt of my head. I'm fairly sure there is a switched ignition 12v going into the back of the headlight switch, all you hsould need to do is chop a couple of wires there and fasten them together to make what I mentioned as the easier option.