Author Topic: its runninggggggggg  (Read 3259 times)

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
Re: its runninggggggggg
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 09:52:11 am »
Do you realy gain all that much from revving your engine that high? Can't be good for reliabilty or longevity of the engine I'm thinking but I don't know half as much as these guys do.

You seen berg cup cars then?  10Krpm!!! ;D

Well they aint gonna last 100kmiles if you know what i mean.  mine was rebuilt after 10K, although I clocked that up on road miles for which the car was not originally built for.  Build a solid engine though, it'll last and be reliable, rebuild will conissit of pistons rings and freshen up generally, as yoof before has said ignition becomes a problem.

As for any gain up there, you need to find the right cam to make the best of it, I tried a newman 264deg, crap, peaked power at 6600rpm, a 1000rpm under what i wanted and couldn't really play with the vernier.  Never got to try anything else.

Although i do agree that a lower rpm and a bigger turbo say will give you as much benefit.

Offline liam

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 10:46:03 pm »
in my opinion anybody who sells chips for g40s that rev over the safe limits of the charger should at least supply some information regarding this, i didnt know about the safe limits of the charger and have had to buy another one because of this and it could of easily been avoided if this information was supplied with the chip.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 11:17:48 pm »
in my opinion anybody who sells chips for g40s that rev over the safe limits of the charger should at least supply some information regarding this, i didnt know about the safe limits of the charger and have had to buy another one because of this and it could of easily been avoided if this information was supplied with the chip.

Liam,

When you buy speed rated tyres- it doesn't mean you can drive at 149mph all the time...

The same is with the raised rev limit, it's there to stop you hitting it and causing damage to the charger seals, it's not there so you can rev to 8,000rpm with no prior thought.

Fortunately Andy will (and does) spec chips with a custom rev limit, should the customer wish- therefore the choice is all in your hands, rev high and take the risk or retain a stock rev limit and hope you don't hit it.

Pete

Offline liam

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 09:05:02 pm »
i had a little feeling you would reply to this Pete, i`m not trying to blame anyone i know it was my fault but i just didnt know,

i just think it would be beneficial for everybody if it was mentioned in the instructions.
because of me not knowing this it has just cost me another 800 pounds for a new charger and i had to split the block and have it checked for damage as there were shards of metal all through my boost pipes.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 09:32:06 pm »
It's unfortunate you've had to learn the hard (and expensive) way... good effort on splitting everything apart, hopefully the pieces of charger havn't got too far.

For future info the higher rev limit is employed to stop the engine hitting the rev limiter and causing a pulsation in the oil system pressure, which in turn caused charger oil seals to be spat out. Ideally a soft cut limiter (usually done with fuel trimming rather than ignition cut) would be put in, unfortunately digifant doesn't have provision for this.

Unless any PY engine has been specifically built with RPM in mind, I've never seen one make peak power past 6500rpm with a g-lader on. Save the revving to those who don't have boost  ;) ;D

Offline Charlie VW

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 09:57:28 pm »
Am i right in saying that maybe a shift light might come in handy?  ???

Maybe set it at 6000rpm to give you 500rpm delay and reaction!!!