Author Topic: alloy rad?  (Read 5958 times)

Offline poloeatonm45

• Members
alloy rad?
« on: May 14, 2009, 12:40:51 pm »
was their someone on here doing a group buy for alloy rads for the g40 ? im sure they was but cant seem to find the thread now

steven

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: alloy rad?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:50:48 pm »
I seem to recall Lance talking about doing.

Offline poloeatonm45

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 03:22:47 pm »
i thought i,d heard someone talking about it. anyone know if it,s still going ahead and how much they would be? i seem to remember a figure of £180 per rad i think although i might be wrong

steven

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:44:56 pm »
i was gonna sort one mate but needed alot interested plus still seamed too expecive.

am gonna see if my car runs alot cooler with my oil cooler fitted.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 11:28:42 pm »
I'm finding it's made a difference on mine, which I wasn't expecting. The coolant gauge only goes above 90mph in heavy traffic on hot days, and it's dropped about 5 degrees cooler on motorway runs. It's either the oil cooler or my temp sender is acting up...

Offline poloeatonm45

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 08:25:00 am »
ah ok good this is what im wanting i need one but i know what people asr saying in that they are really expensive i think i may need a bigger oil cooler as well mine was fine before i fitted the eaton but it seems to get hotter a lot quicker now but then again i am putting alot more power out now compared to the g40 charger. anyone know where i can get an alloy rad cheaper than 263 on ebay?

steve

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:05:42 pm »
£263? bang goes that idea!

if you find somewhere, let me know as i think i'll need one at some point.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 01:18:51 pm »
alot of kit cars use the same rad as polos so you might find a cheaper one that way.

i think rad-tec or summat like that do them.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 04:04:08 pm »
I wouldnt say no to an alloy rad if there was to be a group buy at the right price!

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 05:49:40 pm »
Personally, I don't think an alloy radiator is neccessary - certainly not unless you have a full on race spec turbo motor in a race car.
You can't compare a new alloy radiator to an original 15+ year old silted up jobbie, of course it will out perform one of these. If you could buy one for £80 or so it'd be worthwhile, but circa £260?!!
I reckon the difference in coolant temperature and control of the temperature between a new O.E. radiator and an alloy radiator would be negligable in the majority of cases.   

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 09:40:17 pm »
To be honest Breadman i think you are bang on the money and i agree that spending approx. £250 is too much, however if there was a group buy bringing the cost down to below the £200 mark then that would be much more reasonable especially for those with the higher power engines and track users as you mentioned..

Offline poloeatonm45

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 11:26:05 am »
i know what you are saying and you are right £260 is too much to pay hence this post in the first place, but im jus trying to keep my g40 cool and the standard rad does not seem to be up to the job, i the rad on my g40 is not very old and it still gets too hot thats why im lookin at my options as at the end of the day the last thing i want is to melt a piston, can you still get g40 rads from vw, i thought i had read on here that when you buy one from vw now it,s jus a standard polo core with g40 end tanks?

steve

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 11:41:31 am »
Personally, I don't think an alloy radiator is neccessary - certainly not unless you have a full on race spec turbo motor in a race car.
You can't compare a new alloy radiator to an original 15+ year old silted up jobbie, of course it will out perform one of these. If you could buy one for £80 or so it'd be worthwhile, but circa £260?!!
I reckon the difference in coolant temperature and control of the temperature between a new O.E. radiator and an alloy radiator would be negligable in the majority of cases.   

For a turbo'd G40 that gets used in anger with a large FMIC I'd say you need one, a good few bursts up to 140mph will see your coolant approach 110'C, Ally rad on mine is 10x better.

Offline poloeatonm45

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 01:52:30 pm »
yeah i agree , im running an eaton with the smaller toothed pully and the temp soon rises when you put your foot down for a while

come on someone organise a group buy for them lol

steve

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 06:29:20 pm »

For a turbo'd G40 that gets used in anger with a large FMIC I'd say you need one, a good few bursts up to 140mph will see your coolant approach 110'C, Ally rad on mine is 10x better.

To be fair Pete, your car is a little different to most. There are very few G40/turbo car's that have well in excess of 200bhp, run 12 second quarters and do as many "good few bursts up to 140mph"!
As I stated, the majority of cars will be fine on a new O.E radiator.