Author Topic: hello all  (Read 2715 times)

Offline spacy

• Members
hello all
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:40:36 pm »
Hi all

Just joined so i thought id say hello!, im going to be on the lookout for a g40 over the next few months once i have sold off my fabia vrs.

I have always wanted to own one but have always stuck to golfs before, i have had a few g60s so im aware of the maintenance required with the g-lader, are the blocks fine for high mileage if its been looked after properly? as most cars are getting on a bit now.

Thanks

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: hello all
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 07:44:23 am »
some people have done 200k on the blocks, rae took a 160kone apart and it was within tolerances.  if treated right they are ok.  though if not properly maintained they can go wrong - cleaned injectors, new fuel pumps, lambda probe etc sees your fueling right.

For me the bodies are getting rusty/needing welding these days- i'd stay away from these - the mechanics are simple enough for a home mechanic

welcome and good luck finding one

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 10:46:23 am »
Welcome mate, Max here :D

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 01:21:05 pm »
Greetings chap :)

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 04:29:25 pm »
Hello, welcome to the forum.

I've Just dropped my block off for a rebuild: - 97k. It's only being rebuilt because the car has been outside and not run for about 6 years, so I want to get rid of the old oil sludge and rusty bits such as the water pump sealing face. There really isn't anything wrong with the internals, bores, pistons, bearings, oil pump etc. all good. I've not cleaned the head yet but on first inspection there's nowt wrong with it.

That's all the experience I have, so all I can say is one with 100k that's been well serviced should go on for a fair bit longer.

Offline spacy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 06:51:19 pm »
Sound advice, just need to choose a few colours now haha ill try and avoid as much rust as possible but id imagion every g40 is going to have some bad points

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 07:08:50 pm »
i would say don't buy on colour.  I've had a few - all blooooody red.. but they were well priced, solid and good runners so red it had to be!

better red and solid than blue and rusty!

where are you? there may be someone local who'd take you out in their solid one to show you a decent one

Offline spacy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 12:08:22 am »
based in woking, surrey. i have seen a couple around but no idea if they belong to anyone on here.