Author Topic: Gt's  (Read 7962 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Gt's
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:50:55 pm »
Just out of interest not that i'm  planning on getting one but some people bang on about them 'yeah sleepers!' yeah!  but surely with a considerable amount of power less than a g40 even the tuned gt's that some claim are 'sleepers' which are barely knocking on 100bhp can't be that good?  i know yoofs' was an exception but thats pretty much a 1 off.  any polo even a totally standard g40 isn't really a 'sleeper' as some of these jokers claim....

my own personal opinion is i wouldnt waste a penny on a gt modifying it engine wise when another engine is available and even at its most basic is still more powerful than it.

whats your opinion...good motors?  quick? but not fast? or over priced teen machines?
discuss....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 06:52:57 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Gt's
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 07:02:52 pm »
gts are alright i suppose, but nothing too special, for a 1.0 litre owner it will be "wow yeah"

but to us G40 owners, it is nothing but a step down

Peasants G40 as i say lol

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Gt's
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 07:05:52 pm »
[quote pid=3723 author=DKnight date=1220292172]gts are alright i suppose, but nothing too special, for a 1.0 litre owner it will be "wow yeah"

but to us G40 owners, it is nothing but a step down

Peasants G40 as i say lol[/quote]

ha ha. 'peasants'

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Gt's
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 07:14:31 pm »
What got you thinking about this is my question lol

I would say that they are well overpriced now, some going for 1500 when you can get a G for that price.

I agree with you on the modifying front, just seems pointless,
Some say they want to modify a NA engine, nothing wrong with that but is is never going to be as powerful G40 so why bother.

We could be missing the point though it isn't always about having the most powerful car. isn't it? lol (ill say it before someone else does)

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Gt's
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 07:21:23 pm »
i started thinking about it because of a thread on clubpolo and a few comment on there got me thinking about it.  i can see someones point about modifying a NA engine, getting the most out of it...personally its a bit of a false economy, cos someone in a stock g40 is still gonna spank him...in FACT! i was on the motorway a while back on the A1 heading south and a modified GT went blareing past, well moded body wise, boyo thought he was cool as so i picked up on boost pulled next to him waved and backed off back down to where i was trundling along...just to make a point really ha ha...besides the point back on topic..

i'd still like to drive one though see what they are like in comparison and to build a true opinion, don't really want to create the kind of relationship that splitty camper owners have against anything non split windowed if you know what i mean ha ha
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:28:33 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gt's
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 07:31:53 pm »
I think that was a point well made  :D

This is what im trying to tell my mate at the moment as he wants to throttle body a gt, spend loads on it etc. i told him it want stand a chance against a standard G let alone mine, but he won't be told. You can only advise them at the end of the day.

You cant knock em as far as a nippy little 1.3 goes, but as long as you except that is all they are then you have a great car at the end of the day.

Still waiting for someone to come on an slate us G40 boys now like true CP style lol
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:38:47 pm by wozzaG40 »

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gt's
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 09:26:46 pm »
To be honest, a stockish GT with 4-branch, generic chip and cam is really good fun to rag the shit out of, and you know it'll take the abuse all day long without any trouble. If you add a tickle of nitrous, then it has the potential to be fast - at least until you empty your bottle.

Pre-throttle bodies Yoof's GT was plenty quicker than a stockish G40 with a 50bhp shot of nitrous. It did a low 15s 1/4 mile with an 80bhp shot, and had the potential to go quicker with a bit more tweaking. On the road (on gas) it was as quick as a 150bhp G40 easily - but only for a maximum of 6 minutes or so, lol.

Not quite sure what my point is - wouldn't spend thousands on a 3F engine build, but I would do the cheapish tweaks to make it a fun budget daily - and whack on a cheap nitrous kit for when I was feeling naughty. Think it puts it in perspective that Yoof likes going fast, and he ditched what was probably the fastest GT in the country for a G40 turbo conversion despite the cash, blood, sweat and tears we'd both put into the GT.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gt's
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 10:18:25 pm »
my first car was a gt and my dad drove one for about 5 years. Loved em both. so reliable and nippy round town. I'd have one again.... but i reckon in a mk2 shell is where they'd be even more fun

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gt's
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 10:19:56 pm »
whats better about a mk2 shell pete?  lighter?  Nicks told me about the better rust protection on an early shell...

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gt's
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 08:31:36 am »
mk2s are better built (sturdier in my opinion) and lighter for better power to weight

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gt's
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 12:47:14 pm »
Isn't the slam panel on a Mk2 more substantial, giving better front end stiffness?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gt's
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 12:52:08 pm »
well I loved the GT I used to have as a daily driver before the passat.  Like Andy said, they're just really good fun to drive, very revvy engines and will take abuse all day long without complaining.  Quite good daily drivers unless you are doing a lot of motorway miles (which is the only reason I got rid of mine really, I owned it for over two years and did just over 30k in it).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:52:36 pm by hayesey »

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gt's
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 01:05:02 pm »
When I finished messing around with my GT I was at the point where any more modifications would not really be good bang for buck, except maybe nitrous.

If/when I take my G off the road I am going to be bringing out my GT again. Not even in the same league as my G but still a great laugh. Enough go-go to put a slight smile on your face but best of all will do 30+ mpg even if you give it a hard time.

Emerald, Nitrous, 1.6 Bottom end when I get bored...Or I might just stick the eaton in there :ph34r:

Offline 86C

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gt's
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 09:43:02 pm »
Well, I love my GT conversion for what it is... A cheap n cheerful daily hack that never fails to put a grin on my face. So bloody reliable too in the 45K that I've put on it since building it :wub:

Offline VeeDubG40

• Members
  • VeeDubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gt's
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 12:10:36 pm »
Surely it's opinion and if you enjoy driving a GT then thats fine, theres no right or wrong when it comes to veedubs.