Author Topic: My G40 Squareback  (Read 10586 times)

Offline N17K CP

• Members
My G40 Squareback
« on: June 19, 2009, 02:06:53 am »
Hi everyone.
Thought id post some pics of my G40 Squareback up that I have just bought.
Will get full spec up as I go along.
Can anyone tell me anything about the car? It was magazine featured a while back (possibly fast car?) and has had thousands spent on it? Im hoping someone knows something about the car as I would like to get a bit of info on it! Looks like someone's pride and joy at some point, but the bodywork has been left to corrode and is in need of a respray :(
Its had a bump in the front, altho isnt bad. Starts, runs and drives very well... amazing engine on it!
I will try my best to get some better pics but here is some to go on with...

Offline MartinB

• Members
Re: My G40 Squareback
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 02:09:53 am »
Can't say i've ever seen that in around 3.5 years of polo ownership and being in the online polo community etc etc.

Looks like it needs a bit of love, however, a solid base :)

Offline N17K CP

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 02:16:49 am »
Ye, chap not far from where I live has owned it for a while now and I have been on the polo scene for about 3 years now and I had never heared of it. I currently have a polo gti for my daily and a G60 mk1 golf that I am restoring. Could well have been a long time before that tho.
It is pretty solid to be fair, altho im going to jack it up within the next few days and start sealing the underneath and getting it ready for paint.

Forgot to mention I got the car for a good price of £450  ;)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 08:32:37 am »
thats a steal!!!

used to be a gt, think i've seen it at vw north west in the show and shine before

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 10:03:02 am »
That's an absolute bargain! :o

Nice car this, I've seen it before but years ago.

Offline N17K CP

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 02:05:23 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys. If anyone has any pictures of it in its former glory they wouldn't mind sending over that would be much appreciated too  ;D

Got a lot of receipts from Cheshire VW/Audi so guessing it was up that way at some point.

It did used to be a GT. I was hoping that someone would know if the person did a build thread or similar so that I could look through it and see what the car has had done :)

Offline N17K CP

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 02:42:14 am »
Got a bit of work done today.
The car has had a bump in the front but nothing major and I knew about this before I bought the car, so first job was to strip the front down and see what the damage was. Nothing too bad and am ordering the parts on monday to sort it all out.
Also found a Squareback polo locally which has been left to rot, so am going to have a look tomorrow as it has many parts that I am after!
Lets hope I get that for cheap and get some nice parts off it  ;D

Removed the wings:

Drilled out the spot welds (there were loads!)

Lights removed and bonnet also removed.

Bent old slam panel

Bumper bracket was a bit bent also

Back in shape

Found a bit of rust on the door so hoping the doors on the 'local car' have better ones

And thats it for now. Get those replaced and she is in for spraying :)

Edit: car as it stands now:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 02:43:54 am by N17K CP »

Offline N17K CP

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 04:32:55 pm »
Got parts priced up today for the panel around the lights and the bar behind the bumper.
£96 for the light bit
£113 for the bar bit (think mine may be okay so will get that checked first)

Will get some pics up of the Donor parts car as soon as I get it back. Spoke to the woman and she is thinking about my offer of £50 for the car  :) Im sure she will get rid of it.

Edit:
Had a bit of trouble with my Polo Gti the past few days with starting and running, so got the old scanner out today and threw up that the alternator wasnt working :(
Taken it off and picking it up tomorrow when its been rebuilt :)

Heres a few pics of my other polo too.

Now on Ronal LS's and the BBS RM's are for sale if anyone is interested? :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 04:37:34 pm by N17K CP »

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 06:20:15 pm »
my mate wants some rm's for his mk1 golf,
pm me details please mate.

Offline genesisGT

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 11:51:43 pm »
i thought i recognised it!

it was a mint GT not that long ago...

happy poloing!

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 05:54:25 pm »
^^^wow someone has really let that go! real shame! Good to see its gone to a good home now though!!

Offline jamo

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 10:06:29 pm »
great build thread mate, i would sell my mother for a g40 breadvan conversion, fancy a swap? lol

Offline N17K CP

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 12:59:04 pm »
Does anyone have any links to this car in its previous form?
I haven't got any details for the guy who sold me it now and was just wondering if someone had made a build thread or something.

Anyway, not been on here a long time and not touched it for a long time due to being in uni and having no money. But thats all changed now so hopefully going to get it on the road soon  :)

Few pics of progress:

Wheels have been Sandblasted and are going to have the lips re-polished.
Gave it a service the other day and started it for the first time in a long time. took a while but eventually got it going after I had lent the leads to a mate and put them back on the wrong way around!

All the panels are shown in the pics but it has new doors on too and the bumper is only hled on by the mounts on the side so thats why it is sagging slightly :)

Sill needs welding and then it's off to be sprayed so not long now I hope :)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 02:56:01 pm »
I've just been through my old photos and I can't find a single shot of this. Which is odd, because I'm sure I had some.

Offline N17K CP

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 04:49:39 pm »
No worries fella and thanks for looking  :)
If you do come across some, post them up for me. There was a picture on the thread which someone posted but the link has broken so can't see it :(
Have messaged the guy so will wait and see if he has any pics of it. Il do my best to be more regular on here now it's starting to take shape