Author Topic: Changing springs  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
  • Rebuild time almost over
Changing springs
« on: October 01, 2010, 05:34:45 pm »
Hi,

After having an ordeal with the rear suspension on my car I'm seeking advice prior to having a go at the front.

Does anyone know an easy way to change the front springs without touching the track rod, wishbones and ARB or does this all have to be detached before the spring can be removed??

Thanks for any advice Jake.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
Re: Changing springs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 06:00:28 pm »
A good ball joint separator!  ;) ;D

What was the ordeal with the rear... it pretty simples. ?

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 06:07:17 pm »
Yeh I know it's easy, well the drivers side I had done in 10 mins but the passenger side the bolt that goes through the rear axle and damper would not budge for love nor money I had to cut the damper in 2 inside the axle (was not easy).

Now where would I get one of those :P.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 06:22:22 pm »
Yeh I know it's easy, well the drivers side I had done in 10 mins but the passenger side the bolt that goes through the rear axle and damper would not budge for love nor money I had to cut the damper in 2 inside the axle (was not easy).

Sounds like fun, not surprised you had a day of it.  Just read your thread on it now... yeah, fun. :( :o

Now where would I get one of those :P.

I got given it, but it been invaluable to me.  Used to have a motor factors type one, cheapo, but used to tear the ball joint rubbers all the time and then wedge and crowbar it apart, this recent one someone 'lent' it me permanently but its been really good and simples to pop them apart.

TBH a normal fork type one should suffice.  A handy tip for the ARB would be use a jack on it to hold it up while taking the two bolt off and back on.  I dont think there any quicker/easier way I know of than pulling the leg off completely to change springs, but it doesn't take long once you get into it.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:26:45 pm by hardchargin40 »

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 07:02:36 pm »
I'm just not looking forward to finding more rusted bolts in future :/.

I'll have a look into getting one of those, so do you mean jacking it where the rubber that holds the ARB in place yeh??

I'll probably have a bash sometime this weekend.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 07:22:48 pm »
on the centre of the arb (obviously you aren't jacking the car up) with car back on level ground.  Juts takes the pain out of holding the tension while aligning bolts to catch the threads.