Author Topic: Porting on a Milling machine?  (Read 3447 times)

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Porting on a Milling machine?
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:37:41 am »
I'm finally getting another G40 in a few weeks (woop woop, been a few years!) but the charger needs serviced (and it'll be ported as much as poss :D ). I've spent the past couple of hours reading up on who reccomends what, and where and tbh, I'm starting to wonder why no one has (or if it's even possible to) create a program on a milling machine to machine the casings out perfectly?

Admittedly I've never had a charger apart but it's about the only thing that I'm not extremely familiar with on a G40 (ironic really, huh?)

Is it possible to do? If so, I'd like to try and have a go at it at some point.

I'll probably do mine myself by hand, but I'm thinking for the future, to ensure reliable, accurate tolerances as opposed to Mr A taking x amount too much out and Mr B taking too little- why not make it consistent?

I'm not sure if it's even possible (may be that bits that need ground away aren't accessable by a machine tool?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Re: Porting on a Milling machine?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:40:45 am »
could be done but would need a 5 axis cnc realy and a rpogram writing an maybe tooling to be made up to hold certain parts, which is fine if your going to a big batch but not realy economicaly viable for the odd charger here or there unless somone has a spare cnc machine kicking around ??!!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:50:23 am »
well given most are ported and like dub-disaster said its not a simple task.

and porting doesn't necessarily mean removing the most material.  I have a charger graveyard which shows how far you can go before going through walls!

Ps - I can supply service parts for chargers - see supercharger section sticky.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:58:59 am »
Yeh I read that, I've yet to decide what route to take, if I can afford it and don't have time/inclination to do it myself I'll send it to someone (yourself and a couple of others are in a shortlist ;) ) as I'm not keen on Jabba, seen/ heard too many horror stories on the PSD forum, and PSD ain't around anymore either. I've still got to get the car yet too so this job is min. 6 wks away at the mo.

Did you ever look any further into G'ing a Mk2 Golf? (deleted my PMs earlier and came across them).

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 12:40:57 pm »
Looking at how neat some of Jabba's R1's are i cant see how they could be done by hand, they also remove material off the inner wall of the casing which too, i cant see being done by hand.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 04:04:21 pm »
Yeh I read that, I've yet to decide what route to take, if I can afford it and don't have time/inclination to do it myself I'll send it to someone (yourself and a couple of others are in a shortlist ;) ) as I'm not keen on Jabba, seen/ heard too many horror stories on the PSD forum, and PSD ain't around anymore either. I've still got to get the car yet too so this job is min. 6 wks away at the mo.

Did you ever look any further into G'ing a Mk2 Golf? (deleted my PMs earlier and came across them).

i sold the golf when the kiddy came along!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 04:05:21 pm »
Looking at how neat some of Jabba's R1's are i cant see how they could be done by hand, they also remove material off the inner wall of the casing which too, i cant see being done by hand.

inner wall i'd agree - but their porting is very straight edged, not rounded/smoothed like some of the better psd work

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 09:39:00 pm »

inner wall i'd agree - but their porting is very straight edged, not rounded/smoothed like some of the better psd work
I was always impressed with the neatness of the R1, some full blends look a tad scruffy - not that aesthetics has any effect on performance.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 09:44:14 pm »
yeah - jabba are always neat, some psd is better than others!

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 12:03:43 pm »
I'm finally getting another G40 in a few weeks (woop woop, been a few years!)

Welcome back to G World; they do get under the skin don't they!