Author Topic: rear brake disc set up  (Read 2842 times)

Offline budunt121

• Members
rear brake disc set up
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:55:41 pm »
hi guys thinking of doing a rear brake disc conversion on my g40 been offered a full set up the discs are around 220mm would they fit in my 14" wheels (steffan rs alloys) ?

Offline stu g4T

• Members
    • Edition38
Re: rear brake disc set up
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 04:04:27 pm »
'Should' do considering the front brake discs on a standard polo are 239mm with 13in alloys.

The thing to consider is the size of the calipers / offset of the wheels.

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 11:01:26 pm »
I know lots of people do this and it definitely looks better but for me I still think it's a "for the sake of it" mod on most Polo's. They're so light at the back anyway that they barely need more braking power than they get already. I'm not even convinced its safe unless you bleed off most of the new found stopping power to keep the car balanced. 

Of course it's a personal choice and the answer to the question is that 220 discs will fit but as said above the rest will depend on the calipers and carriers themselves vs the ET of the wheels. Pretty sure the Steffans will be ET 25 at the back (assuming they are 8j) so you've probably got shit loads of space.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 10:08:13 am »
I'm with Alex on this one, totally unnecessary modification on a mk3 polo but if you just prefer the look then fair enough.  I'd want to use a bias valve though to ensure the rears don't lock up.

Offline gofasterpinch

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 02:33:10 pm »
i've got discs on the back of mine purely so that i can run a hydraulic handbrake that actually works incredibly well.

Like Alex/hayesey have said though, there is very little normal performance enhancement though, easier to maintain etc but you will need:

a bigger master cylinder from a Sharan or a Transporter - otherwise the pedal travel is very long due to the pistons being so much bigger

adjust the standard brake compensator valve to suit otherwise the brake bias is very rear heavy!