Author Topic: Shocks!  (Read 4404 times)

Offline Joey boy

• Members
Shocks!
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:36:35 pm »
Hi all,
the front shocks on my G40 really need replacing i am after just standard parts and was wondering if the shocks are the same as a standard polo or if there up rated?
Also where is the best place to get hold of them?
Cheers!

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
Re: Shocks!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:08:49 pm »
Uprated as standard. From the factory they were oil filled dampers, it's possible this is still the case (or maybe now they are only semi-oil filled ha ha!). New ones, whether standard spec. or uprated, will be gas filled cartridges and drop inside the suspension leg once you've drained the oil and thrown the original pistons away.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:11:51 pm »
If you want new standard shocks from VW you can only buy the whole leg with the shock in, apparently lots of pennies!

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:15:11 am »
i priced std ones a few years ago from vw and got quoted something like £300 +vat per side, so i just went for Koni adj. cant remember of the top of my head how much i was for 4, i would have to look in my receipt box

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 09:03:33 am by G-spot »

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:13:43 am »
Another question is how do the short stroke shocks compare to normal length one's??  Are they short to the point that they compress the springs further and reduce ride heigth??  Or are the normal length one's just as waiste for legth on a lowered car?  I'm currently on eibachs so which should I go for?

PS Sorry to crash your enquiery Joey boy but thibk were looking for similar answers! ;D ;D ???

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 09:34:15 am »
they'll probably be the same tbh... cheap no-name gas shocks. I think phil j can supply too.  The rears sometimes leak too quite easily!

Shortened shocks suit lowering springs - sometimes lowering springs are shorter and can rattle (mot fail) on full extension with normal shocks.

they'll do - but wont offer koni-style cornering or durability

Offline G-spot

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 10:01:18 pm »
Cheers Pete, probably gonna get some Koni's once I raise some more funds.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 09:04:57 pm »
I've got a set of as new top adjustable  AVO's (about 500 miles). I reckon they're for a standard mk3, but could be wrong. Rod length excluding threaded portion is 195mm and total travel is 190mm. If you're stripping out the originals take a measurement; it might be bargain time.

Offline Jaco2a

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 01:59:16 pm »
my shocks have pritty much had it, would like to run uprated shocks with standard springs to keep ma standard height but be better through the corners? was looking at the avos on venom, opinions please?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 02:36:14 pm »
i run standard height with koni yellows - love it!